Moving files from one drive to another with click - drag

Status
Not open for further replies.

exi

Baseband Member
I have three HDs in my system - a primary 160gb SATA, C:; an 80gb PATA used solely for backups / disk images, E:; and a twin to the SATA drive that's half-full with media, between videos, music, and so forth, F:.

As we know, clicking and dragging a file from, say, the desktop to *my* "My Music", which is F:, copies the file as opposed to moving it. Of course, when the source/destination paths of the file are on the same drive, it actually moves.

Yes, I know Ctrl+x > Ctrl+v or right-click > drag > "move here" will do the trick, but now I'm wondering where, or if, there is a setting for this. I didn't see it in TweakUI, and I'm kind of curious.

I dont really understand..you say you want to do it with click-drag and you explained how to do it, but said you dont want to do it by clicking and dragging..just confused is all :)

Hehe, okay. If I had one drive, any time I click>drag something, it moves the file, right? If I want to move file-A from C:\docs to C:\doggies or whatever, click and drag would do it.

If I tried to move that file from C:\docs to F:\solder, it would only copy the file over to F:, not move it. So, when I try to move from one drive to another drive, it doesn't move the file, it just copies it. Yes, right click>drag>"move here" will do it, as would cut/paste; however, I was just curious as to whether there was a setting somewhere that would make click>drag move the file in all cases (without right-clicking, or specifically cutting/pasting, or anything like that), even when the original location of the file and its destination are on two different drives.

Obviously it's a minor little thing, I just want to know. =]

aghhh! Ok I understand you now. Yes that would be cool to find out! Let me see if I can find any spots for it in the policy editor or registry.

Ok if you hold the SHIFT button down while draging to another disk it will move it rather than copy it. We are least getting a little closer ;)

Ooh, very nice, that's good to know. Wonder if it is a registry thing...?

Why not just cut and paste. CTRL X and CTRL V? I know it is not as nice as drag and drop but it gets the job done nice and easy.

Oh, I know, I have no problem with doing that or the shift+drag thing. At this point, I'm asking for personal knowledge, not convenience. :)

What about the old windows explorer. You could do it with the drag and drop to move then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom