Raid Hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler1989

Fully Optimized
Say I have 3 HD's in a PC and I want only two to show up can I have 1 stand alone and the other two in a RAID? If so how do you setup two hard drives to join in a RAID?

Just set up one drive normally. Then you'll need to buy a RAID controller (if you don't have one integrated). Then decide what type of RAID array you want to set up.

If your just looking for a different way to connect hard drives rather than your IDE controllers, what you want is a SCSI chain. RAID is used for connecting multiple drives so they act as one, and to protect against hard drive crashes.(I know that's a very bad descritpion but you get my point)

you dont necessarily nead a raid card, if money is an issue and you have 2k or xp pro, you can always use them in a dynamic array.

Tyler1989 said:
Explain dynamic array please.

Basically with a dynamic disks, you can have more than one drive, and use them to create spanned volumes, striped volumes, mirrored volumes etc. Much like you would do with RAID. But the way the drives are setup are totally different than basic disks.

One other thing, you cannot have a multi-boot setup on a Dynamic disk, something to keep in mind.

You can read up on it here......

microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom