Rather urgent issue with physical hardware installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
Alright, imagine this:
You are at a LAN and have your computer almost assembled. The only thing left is your two hard disks. In a bit of a hurry, you do an extemely poor job of screwing them in, inserting my screw at odd angles (ie not straight in) and use quite a bit of force (not enough to start stripping the screw head, but a very large amount) to get them in. You get the drives secured and get into the gaming. However, it never stops bothering you haw those screw are in oddly. When you get home, you take them out, but upon doing so, you notice that there are lots of flecks of metal on the removed screw threads. Most of these are very small and are lmost invisible unless the light hits them correctly, but a few are long strips that are visible.

As you may have guessed, this happened to me. Here come the questions: What should I do to solve this problem (detailed if possible)? What would you do to solve this problem(again, as detailed as possible)? Is this even something to worry about?

Apologies for the long post, this this issue is very pressing and a solution is very valubale to me.

It's just metal fibers from screws being forced through the holes in the case, not the hard drive, don't worry about it.

Thanks for the prompt reply (even though I wasn't there).
Do you mean into the platter assembly? Damn I wish everthing was as safe as that is:
What about the logic boards? Or other hardware throughout the machine?

OMG dude its jsut metal fibers from screwing in the hdd the hdd is not damaged nor any other hardware. there is like a 1cm gap jsut for the screws man no worry nothing is wrong.

digitaloracle said:
Thanks for the prompt reply (even though I wasn't there).
Do you mean into the platter assembly? Damn I wish everthing was as safe as that is:
What about the logic boards? Or other hardware throughout the machine?

no no no, it's metal from your the actual system case, not the hard drive case. You didn't damage anything

Counter-Strike said:
Umm Bass, you don't screw the HD into the case, the case has pre-drilled holes that are aligned for the HD.

Yae but you still have to put screws through the pre-drilled holes, that go into the hard drive. I'm no machinest, but when I have to put a screw through 2 things to hold them together, I call that screwing it in.

I have no idea where the shavings came from, only that they are present and uneasy about them. So again: is it possible that they could do ANY harm to ANYTHING (ie mobo, logic board on the hdd, ect) electronic? I know the actual disk plates are fine, they were sealed at the factory. I couldn't care less about damage done to my case, the screws, or the threaded hole, because I know it was not significant enough to cause problems. I am only concerned about electronics. Here is my plan right now from fixing the problem:

1.) unscrew both drives (bottom one first, to avoid dumping filings on anything below
2.) moisten a cloth with alchol (70%) and wipe down threads (will that kill the circuit board?)
3.)Do the same to the screws and the case
4.)vacum the drive cage and area surrounding
5.)hope everything is fine

Is that excessive? Do I need to do more to fix the problem? What about the questions brought up in the first section of this post? Do I need to do anything? Realize that I am extremely parnoid about this sort of thing, and am therefore not capable of making intelligent decisions in this matter.

Alright, so I bought some air and am slowly removing components and blowing them off individually. I have run into a problem with the video card though. I noticed that the actual chip sits on some round metal supports (not sure if the are contacts or not). They arent very high, probably about 2mm and there are a lot of them, all lined up. While blowing it out, I naturally directed soem air underneath the heatsink at those things. Is it possible I blew anything in there? How would I get it out if I did? Would I know if I did when I boot up (ie card would not function at all if there were any conaminents in that area)?

I would have completely disassembled the whole PC, component by component. Then take a can of AIR and blow clean the whole entire case and all the components.

Metal shards inside you case can be potential dangerous. You really don't want a shard to bridge two places on the motherboard that aren't supposed to be bridged. Can you say, "Sparks, Smoke and Fire?"

That's why I love my case. Mounting clips on the side of each HDD. All i have to do is, disconnect power & SATA, release clips and remove HDD's on a sliding tray assembly. THe same for all my other optical drives. No Screwing or Unscrewing is necessary after the initial build. Makes life so easy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom