Missing/Corrupt File

Status
Not open for further replies.

cway

Baseband Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
I periodically run Disc Cleanup and delete everything, but this particular time I noticed alot of files under the 'Catalog files for the Content Indexer'. I cannot recall ever seeing anything under that Description before. Nontheless, I ran it. It was taking a very long time. I then noticed a Windows Protection File window appear stating something about 'Unrecognized Files', and to insert the appropriate cd. One said something about an ActiveX cd (don't have one of those). I canceled about 3 different similar prompts.
When it completed, all my Desktop icons were gone with the exception of the standard My Computer, My Documents, Network Places, & I.E.
So I restarted my pc...and now I get a black screen that says: WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file.
I wish I knew how to do that!!
Any assistance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

I apologize...Can you please elaborate as to what "Instructions are in my sig." means!
I'm a 'newbie' Techie...lol

Thx!!

The picture and everything underneath it are the sig.

Thx for the reply...
I have tried this...but, when I get to step 2, there is no option for the "To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R".
Need further assistance from here!!

Any suggestions??

you have to set your bios to boot from CD, then after Cd disc gets to menu, tell it to install, itll detect a previous install then u tell it to repair. from there itll computer files over and go through a setup program on reboot.

if this isn't whats going on try it again. cause there should be that option.

Hello Monster,
Since the computer i'm trying to fix does not boot up...can I copy it to a cd on a laptop i am borrowing...then put it in the cd drive of the laptop that is down?
I apologize...i'm a little new to the I.T. field!!

Thx

there is no email in there...but there is a proplus.zip file in the Pro Plus.MSI for Office folder.
Is this the zip file???

Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom