Random Shutdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatBob

Beta member
Yesterday, my computer started randomly shutting down while I was playing games. My first thought was overheating. However, I checked all of the temps and felt the power supply, and everything was within normal range.
The next thing I though was the power supply. Could be going bad, after all. So, I checked the voltage.
VCORE - 1.64V
+3.3V - 3.07V
+5V - 4.65V
+12V - 11.96V
+5VSB - 4.86V
+3VSB - 3.26V

This is a 400 Watt power supply. I used the Power Supply Wattage Calculator, and it came out at 282, so I know that is fine.

I am wondering if anyone can provide any insight into my problem.
The CPU temp is a cool 48 C, with the MB in the high 30s.

Its probably your motherboard, however, if you get line noise in the AC cord to PSU it could shut down computer to prevent damage.

Also make sure you have no viruses or spyware some viruses do shutdown computers.

another possibility is that 1 or both if u have dual 12V lines, is the cables are loose and they lose connectivity to mobo or CPU.

Im a concerned about your voltages. Normally, you want the voltages to be within 5% of normal. Some of yours are like 6 or 7%.

Perhaps you could try a new PSU, even though it is of the appropriate wattage.

This was a mid-range PSU that I bought about a year ago to replace the original one that died due to fan-failure.
Could the voltages be causing the shutdowns?
Also, do you need a list of hardware?

Just this week I read in an Australian news paper that a new virus has been found that randomly shuts down Windows 2000 machines. Apparently MicrosoftÂ’s working on a Windows update to fix this. So if youÂ’re running Windows 2000 that could be your problem.

Nope, I'm running XP Home.
My computer has been running fine today, and I've been gaming a fair amount of the day. When it started I could get about 15 minutes of intense work in before it shut down, and now it seems fine.
The only thing that I did was tighten the power connections, but none of them seemed loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom