Will xp run faster on SATA drive???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bardan

Solid State Member
I've just bought a new hard drive. It's a 120gb SATA. I currently have XP installed on my other drive which is a 120gb ATA.
Will there be any difference in performance if I put XP on the SATA instead?? One disk will be used only for storing files...

You're not going to see any real noticeable performance jumps right now. ATA speeds max out at 133 MB/second. SATA, the maximum is 150, SATA II the maximum is 300.

There are a lot of other advantages to SATA over PATA.

Also by 2007 SATA speeds are expected to reach the 600 MB/sec mark.

Agreed with Bassmaster. You probably wont notice a difference at all. It is still the actual hard drive that is the bottleneck and not it's interface.

I think you will see a difference in speed, though not major, but the main other difference you should notice is sata drives are much quieter.

Rich M said:
I think you will see a difference in speed, though not major, but the main other difference you should notice is sata drives are much quieter.

I dont understand how SATA hardrives are any quieter. The only difference between SATA and PATA is the interface. The interface is not mechanical in any way, and is electronic, and doesnt make any noise itself.

Rich M said:
If thats true I must get one now. My computer sounds like a vacuum cleaner :(

my seagate barracuda sata hdd is not quiet, when i turn down all my case fans, i can hear this clicking noise whenever its reading...

The only (3) advantages of SATA HDD'S ARE"

1.) Hot Swappable
2.) Small Cables instead of wide IDE Ribbon Cables that allow for better airflow.
3.) Onboard (Mobo) RAID controllers instead of buying PCI/IDE RAID controller cards.

Once SATA II become more standard and future SATA tranfer rates increase, the advantage will increase...

the only time you'll notice a major increase in XP speed is if you get a 10K RPM SATA drive...takes about 15 minutes to install a fresh copy of winXP and the OS loads within seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom