Computer not booting after switching case

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwampThing

Beta member
I recently tried moving my Dell Inspiron 4600 into a larger case. After taking note of how all connections are set up, I proceeded to take everything out and move it into the new case. However, after getting everything in and pressing the power button, the computer won't boot up! Nothing turns on at all, not the fan, not the hard drives. I didn't change any of the equipment, I simply switched cases. The only sign of life on the computer is a green LED shows up when the computer is plugged in. Besides that, nothing.

Could my motherboard be shot? How would I go about testing the motherboard? What else do you think my problem could be if the computer doesn't boot at all.

What exactly am I looking for with grounding issues? Something touching the metal case? What exactly is shorting the board and does it permanently break the unit?

As for bare essentials, I tried booting it with only the video card (AGP), Fan, and one stick of RAM... but same results. I would like to see if maybe my power switch is not working correctly but it's in this configuration:

* being a metal prong coming from where the switch plugs into. I would try just touching two wires together but out of the five prongs, I don't know what is power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom