Password at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
hold on a second... A bootable CD that allows you to change the Bios Password? hmm, I bet IBM would like to see that... Although there are tools to change the password on windows, and other OS's, if you set a bios password on a machine that doesn't require a battery backup to store it, you can't get it off. The Bios is before you ever get to the CD. Also, if your Bios allows for HDD locks or boot locks then that is even further. If you can't boot without the password, how far do you think you will get?
Nice try Tyler... ;)

my point is, windows password is alot easier to get around then a BIOS password I think we can all agree on that.

But if hes the only user why need a password at all. especially if noone else lives with him.

yes to the above poster, its also true that a bios password comes on before IDE channels are checked so how can a Linux CD work.

Inaris said:
hold on a second... A bootable CD that allows you to change the Bios Password? hmm, I bet IBM would like to see that... Although there are tools to change the password on windows, and other OS's, if you set a bios password on a machine that doesn't require a battery backup to store it, you can't get it off. The Bios is before you ever get to the CD. Also, if your Bios allows for HDD locks or boot locks then that is even further. If you can't boot without the password, how far do you think you will get?
Nice try Tyler... ;)

I never said it can change the BIOS password I said it can bypass the BIOS password and then change the windows password. I'm not trying anything Astumi is a bootable CD that can bypass a BIOS protected computer and change the administrative password. Try to google it.

Edit: I made a huge mistake guys I'm sorry I have the name wrong let me check through my pile of CDs for the correct name... :p

Edit#2: Actually it's called Austrumi

Austrumi (v0.9.2 - December 2004)

Austrumi is a Linux bootable ISO image for recovering NT passwords and other cool tools and methods, sized for Business Card size CD media (50Mb). It allows you to change any password, including that of the Administrator, on a partition occupied by Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Simply boot the CD and when you get to the initial boot prompt, type:

boot: nt_pass

This will launch a console utility that will detect Windows partitions on the hard disk and provide you with a menu to modify any user or Administrator passwords on the Windows system. It will even give access to the Windows registry for recovery purposes. Quite a handy utility to keep in your wallet (AUSTRUMI is small enough to fit on a business card-size CD) if you are unfortunate enough to having to deal with Windows machines in your line of work.

Read more at http://sourceforge.net/projects/austrumi

Download links: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/austrumi/austrumi-0.9.2.iso?download

Austrumi v0.9.2 (ISO file, 50.9mb)

Try it for yourself folks.

again, not to steal a thread, but it's not possible to bypass a bios password. If the password is set, your set with it. No CD in the world will get you around a Bios password. That being said, on 98, you can just press esc and you log onto the machine. Passwords on 98 were and are a joke. There is no point. It's a rule of physical access. if you can gain access to a physical component of the machine, then it's too late...

As to the low level passwords, they protect beyond a simple physical access when the machine boots. after that, on 98, there isn't much to do. The above posts have already cleared how to remove the password, so I think that should finish that thought...

on the other OS's it's a bit more complicated, but aside from not having a login on most machine in the world, people will lock their doors and close thier blinds, but don't care about the computer in the office after they set up the firewall and installed the AV and SW tools. and too be honest, that is really all they need. Once you are actually on the machine, even with a password, you are vulnerable. That is just the way it works...

guys chill out.

I assuming that he has a phone line connection that obviously start up with windows asking for a password. it has nothing to do with windows or motherboard (which inaris is right on, you change or get into them without flashing the bios) passwords

I don't have windows 98. but look for internet connections (maybe in control panel) set it to an always on connection and you have to delete the default phone connection or you can look for an advance setting to automatically log you on

am I right, DarkMassacre?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom