Add a new HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

theillestg69

Baseband Member
Ok I have a 40 gig that I wanna put into my 60 gig HD computer. Now I dont want to lose anyhting on my 60 gig HD. How would I transfer all my files onto my 40 gig HD? I am only using 25 gigs of my 60 so I have enough room. Thanks for the soon to come help.

Although I don't really see the point of swapping out a 40Gig for a 60Gig......

If you want to transfer your OS and all, you can use a product like Norton Ghost to make an image of your old drive and transfer it to the new one.

If it's just data and settings, install the 40Gig as a slave to the 60Gig master and either use Windows backup utility to copy all your files, or copy them all manually.

I am using the 60 gig for my XBOX. Thanks for the help and i'll let you know when I need more help :) Is there any free programs that do the same thing as Norton Ghost? I dont wanna spend money if their is another option.

I've never used it so i couldn't really tell you for sure. It really can't hurt to try it, the worst that will happen is it doesn't work, but I can't see how it would damage the host drive. If it were me, I would try it, if it doesn't work I would install the 40Gig as a master, install your OS from the CD. Then put both drives in the machine as master/slave and transfer all of your files

But my computer came preloaded with XP. Or else I would of booted it from the CD. Anways im on my way to buy mr. norton lol. I'll bb in like an half an hour.

I did some more searching and found something called Acronis. Right now its backing up my C:/ and D:/ drives. Ill be back for more help trust me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom