Maxtor 200Gb Hard Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

henspeed

Beta member
I have just purchased a new maxtor 200GB, however after installation and formatting the computer only seems to show 127Gb any ideas what the problem might be?

There are similiar threads posted regarding this same problem. In a nutshell, the manufacturer rounds off the storage numbers in a different manner from the CPU. In other words, the manufacturer claims that there is more space on the drive than there really is. Also, some OSs will not recognize drives that large automatically. I suggest that you look into the other threads describing this problem as I am really not the best at explaining this. Hope this helps.

Igetshockedalot said:
There are similiar threads posted regarding this same problem. In a nutshell, the manufacturer rounds off the storage numbers in a different manner from the CPU. In other words, the manufacturer claims that there is more space on the drive than there really is. Also, some OSs will not recognize drives that large automatically. I suggest that you look into the other threads describing this problem as I am really not the best at explaining this. Hope this helps.

Wrong. He should not be loosing 70g/b. A 200g should show 190 or so. 2000/XP will see that drive no problem. And i am sure that 98SE would too if configured.

What kind of motherboard so you have?

After doing a little more research, installing service pack 1 or service pack 2 should solve the problem.

I guess Windows XP had a 137Gig limit, service pack 1 solved that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom