AGP or PCi

Status
Not open for further replies.

kraze_101

Baseband Member
i heard that AGP is faster than PCi but on these forums i see that everyone reccomends PCI is PCi really faster than AGP?

sorry for the double posts but i take you guys word for everthing because i know at this forum ppl always provide proof... thanx for the help

It can be very confusing. There is another thing called PCI-X and its completely differnet to PCI-Express, even some retailers make this mistake.

not sure if I am correct but...

PCI = 1x - 2x
AGP = 2x - 8x
PCI-E = 2x - 16x

and I don't know anything about PCI-X...

PCI-X changes the protocol slightly and increases the data rate to 133MHz (peak transfer rate of 1066 MB/s)
PCI-X 2.0 specifies a 266MHz rate (peak transfer rate of 2133 MB/s) and also 533MHz rate, expands the configuration space to 4096 bytes, adds a 16-bit bus variant and allows for 1.5 volt signalling

Also, i saw a PCI-Express 4x Slot on a mobo.

Well, i saw a PCI-Express 4x on a motherboard along with 2 PCI-Express 16x (for SLI), several PCI-Express 1x and a few PCI. I suppose the 1x ones are for things like Network Cards, USB Cards and Firewire Cards. The 16x ones are for high end GPU's. So i spose the 4x one would be for stuff like high speed SATA raid cards that support a lot of drives in RAID so it needs more bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom