Hardware EXPERTS please read: regards to 6600GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyHi

Daemon Poster
I have an eVGA PCI-E 6600GT 128mb. Everything works fine.. untill I get Guild Wars and BattleField 2. I install Guild Wars first, and everything works great. I install BF2 and it has some flickering.. So I get the newest driver.. it works great now.. After a while of playing BF2, my screen starts to flicker non-stop.. as with Guild Wars, as well. Now I've tried everything for about a week with everyones suggestions, nothing works. Video card tech, game tech.. all the support, nothing works.

Heres what I think happened. Oh, and by the way I can play Starcraft fine.

What I think::

I think that (I don't know the physical parts of computer for the shits, but this is all I can rationalize with) my video card has a 2d and a 3d processor (different things, processors, areas of computing, w/e) and since Starcraft is 2d, it works fine. But everything in 3d, such as my 2 new games, don't work because I fried my 3D part.. Sound right???

Another thing to add.. When I change the display settings to high, I get littler triangles of the flicker.. when I set to low... just huge boxes flicker.. What I'm thinking is that at high display settings, there is more computing going on, therefore littler areas to make it look better.. as in higher resolution.. and when lower display settings.. less resolution, therefore the huge boxes??

Does this seem right to you? If not, please explain to me what the problem is!! I can still send in for an RMA, but it'll cost a few bucks for shipping.. I'd rather make sure I'm right as well!! Please, if you don't know what you're talkin about don't post on this one..!! it's been bugging me for.. 2 weeks now.. only can play Starcraft omg its annoying!!

Thanks so much for the help!!

-SkyHi

well it mit be that you dont have much ram 512mb is good but for guildwars its get know GF2 man you need 1GB or 2GB thats y it mit be doing this man. OR your psu doesnt have the power to handle it lol. More of the ram.

What kind of flickering is it? Is it a jerky feel to the game, or is it that textures flicker and change colours and things. If it is the latter, then that usually happens when you overclock too far. I don't know if yours is overclocked, but if not, then it's overheating probably.

One issue here is absolutely the lack of sufficient RAM to run BF2.
BF2 is a resource HOG. 2GIG'S makes it very happy. Also, BF2 although a very good game was released too soon and was far too buggy. Even the first patch they released was buggy. Patches are supposed to fix bugs, not create new ones like HUGE MEMORY LEAKS.

It sounds to me like you are experiencing ARTIFACTING. This can be a result of overheating or overclocking too far. I'm not sure but may-be a lack of system ram can cause it too? May-be someone else can verifiy or deny this.

When I was talking to him, he wasnt overclocking and his temperature was only 50, so I doubt it's overheating.

Okay, thanks for good replies.. thank you so much. I have a 480 W PSU, so I don't think PSU.. maybe just fry some 3d thing when I played BF2??? I have 1 gig of RAM, and I uninstalled BF2, but still problems with Guild Wars

-SkyHi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom