My Computer Is Really Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

dean_001

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I just bought a new computer, and I noticed the first time I turned it on that the startup and shutdown times where significantly slow.

Specs:

HP Pavillion a1130n

Microsoft XP: Media Centre Edition
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor 2.77Ghz
1GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
250 GB HARD DRIVE
16X DVD-ROM
DUAL LAYER DVD±RW with LightScribe

I also have the following software:

-Norton Internet Security (Norton Antivirus, Internet Security, and Norton AntiSpam)
-Microsoft AntiSpyware
-And all pre-installed HP software

Startup:
The computer starts up normally then when the welcome screen pops up it stays there for about 1 minute then it loads the desktop.

Shutdown:
If I use the computer for a period of time, and then click start shutdown, it doesnt do anything until after approximately 2-3minutes. Then the Logging off message appears and it takes about 5 minutes for it to shut down.

I just want to know why my computer startsup and shuts down very slowly.

Thanks,
Dean

my mom bought an hp comp the amount of unncesary stuff that is on there in the back ground i had to go and take it out of the start up.
so you will start up faster.But i have not used media center so it may different.
but if you know how put in run msconfig and take out uneeded stuff.
hope that helps.

Hmm...are u linked to the internet? Sounds like the computer is busy doing stuff before it wants to shut down. Norton may be active/updating....how many programs are running on start-up? Start/run/ type "msconfig" see whats running and uncheck all except antivirus and what u want running all the time....

when you get a preloaded computer, it's best to open up the add/remove program, spend 30 mins searching online what each program does, and delete everything that you don't want.. it'll speed up your computer considerably..

According to ur specs, your computer shouldn't be slow, so try to remove everything that you don't need, then see if it's better :D

Thanks guys, but I already spent a great amount of time removing any unnecessary software and removing any unnecessary startup items!

Go to pcpitstop.com, only works with internet explorer and run their free test, here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Run the full test, new member, test anonamously. You'll have to install their activex control, its totally safe.It'll give you a basic rundown on system performance of everything, hope that helps....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom