Windows and a Deadly Blue Screen of Doom and Much Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiker

Beta member
Recently, I went out and bought some good ol’ fashioned parts for my computer. After calling in a rather helpful Indian by the name of Rishi to help me put together a computer from these parts, since they are not really too useful as anything else, I attempted to set up Windows XP Professional.

And I was SNAGGLED.

What I mean by that is that Windows would go and go and go and install everything. Then, while it was displaying the hopeful “Now Starting Windows”, this deadly blue screen with white text essentially states any number of things. Here’s a list.

1. THERE IS A PAGE IN AN UNPAGED AREA.

2. YOUR BIOS IS NOT FULLY ACPI COMPLIANT. PLEASE UNINSTALL ANY NEW HARDWARE.

Since obviously my computer is full of new hardware, this can cause some problems. Because while the case is pretty, it will not log me onto the internet and help my finish calculus homework.

Well, it basically stated to press a combination of F7 and F8 to get into safe mode and turn off some BIOS options or other, nothing came out of it except false hopes and broken pencils.

Here’s the parts I have:

ABIT IS7-V2 Motherboard
Celeron D processor
A 256MB and 512MB sticks of PC 3200 DDR SDRAM
160 GB Ultra ATA/100 Hardrive
MSI FX 5500 256MB video card
A 16X DVD Burner from Pacific Digital
A 16X DVD-ROM from BTC
And a dusty floppy drive ripped out of a 1997 Acer desktop

So, any suggestions would be appreciated, though I do believe it’s my motherboard. If not, then I extremely do not wish going out and buying a $90 motherboard on a student salary and $3.00 a gallon gas.

First of all for god sakes why did you go with a celeron? :p The only thing I can think of off hand right now why windows would freak out about your bios is maybe your motherboard doesnt support it?

I did a little research and found out that some motherboards... usually older it says tho are not acpi compliant and WINDOWS needs an acpi compliant bios to install. Trotter is right and you need to find a flash for that bios. which is weird because its ABIT and its new.... damn celerons hehehe.

read this:

" computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) is a set of software through which the operating system (or Setup) communicates with the computer's hardware devices. The Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) is the current standard for the way the BIOS works. Windows 2000 supports not only ACPI-compliant BIOS versions, but also some BIOS versions based on older advanced power management (APM) and Plug and Play designs.

Some ACPI-based BIOS versions are not compliant with the standard. The more recent the version of an ACPI BIOS, the more likely that it is compliant. An ACPI-based BIOS that is not compliant with the ACPI standard might not support workable communication between the operating system (or Setup) and your hardware. If workable communication is not supported, Setup stops and displays instructions for contacting your hardware manufacturer and taking other steps to solve the problem. If this happens, follow the instructions provided.

To learn more about the ACPI compliance of your BIOS:

For information about which ACPI-based BIOS versions are ACPI-compliant, check the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) for Windows 2000, described in Hardware compatibility This is the definitive source for this information.
For information about your BIOS version, before running Setup, restart the computer and watch the text on the screen. Pay particular attention to blocks of text containing the words "BIOS" or "ACPI BIOS."
For information about BIOS versions for your hardware, check your hardware documentation and contact your hardware manufacturer.
If you think your BIOS might be a noncompliant ACPI BIOS, see the section about ACPI BIOS in the "System Recovery and Troubleshooting" appendix of the printed Getting Started manual. Alternatively, you can find this information on the Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD-ROM in the \Setuptxt folder, in text (.txt) files. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom