Beeping right after power on, wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Total Immortal

In Runtime
I'm home visiting my father, and I turned on his PC (which he SELDOM uses) to see how it was doing (I'm currently on my laptop), and it ran for about 15 minutes, and then it completely froze, no mouse response, couldn't even CTRL+ALT+DEL out. So I soft booted it, and upon restarting, the computer started emitting this HEINOUS beeping sound immediately upon powering up (well, maybe after about 1-2 seconds). At first, it was just one long solid beep, like "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" until I shut it down. After a couple restarts, it now just beeps on and off, in a steady rhythm. It's a little bit slower than 1 beep per second. One been on per second, and one beep off per second. System specs are as follows:

Win XP
AMD Athlon 2200+
1 GB Ram (single stick)
2 HDs (80 GB, 60GB)
Ti4600 vid card
Soundblasket Audigy Platinum sound card

Please help!

Sound like it's either a power supply problem or a memory problem. You need to know the motherboard model number to check the beep codes of that particular BIOS.

Thanks, mobo is an ASUS A7N266-C.

PSU is an Enermax EG651P-VE (650W peak, 550W total). Been a good unit so far. Have had the computer about 3 years.

I'm having a heck of a time finding that particular board, but generally speaking a repeating constant beep means power supply or system board failure

Are there any other symptoms of a system board failure? The fans all work, and the lights are coming on, and HDs are spinning, etc. Or are there other symptoms of a PSU failure?

Well I was finally able to fix it. I re-seated the video card, and swapped the ram positions (turns out it has two sticks instead of one) and that cured what ails it. If anyone else that has problem, at least give that a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom