disk defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

straightv6

Not A Super Techie
my dad replaced his mobo and now when he tries to do a defrag he gets some type of error saying something about check fdisk
how can he fix this

winXP Help & Support
============================
Detecting and repairing disk errors
You can use the Error-checking tool to check for file system errors and bad sectors on your hard disk.

Open My Computer, and then select the local disk drive you want to check. ( example drive C: or D: )

On the File menu, click Properties.

On the Tools tab, under Error-checking, click Check Now.

Under Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.

press start to begin scanning your drive
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes:

To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
All files must be closed for this process to run. If the volume is currently in use, a message box will appear prompting you to indicate whether or not you want to reschedule the disk checking for the next time you restart your system.

Then, the next time you restart your system, disk checking will run. Your volume will not be available to perform other tasks while this process is running.

If your volume is formatted as NTFS, Windows automatically logs all file transactions, replaces bad clusters, and stores copies of key information for all files on the NTFS volume.

Yea, this is what you need to do.....I have the same problem on a couple of PCs running XP.

Click Start > Run > type 'chkdsk' and hit enter. After this is complete, you will be able to run the defrag utility.

-Mike

Norton has a Defrag-Type program, if you have Norton System works its called Speed Disk

I would recommend using Diskeeper over any other defragger. One of the things I love about it is that it runs in the background & doesn't restart on open programs.

Hedda Lora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom