Building a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbreaction

Solid State Member
Can it be done... i am used to building PCs
But since building PCs apart from buying them at stores is so much cheaper i was wondering if build a laptop is just as easy and cheap.. is there places that you can buy the barebone and then from there i just put in the stuff i want...

Some more questions.

I assume laptop video cards are smaller is this correct...?
- what about processors (i assume they are the same)
- ram i know they are different

Some help would be apreciated

Thanks, Mark

Well, as of now, I doubt that you can build laptop's like many people build computer's, buy part's, and put it all together. There are vendor's that like, let you "customize" the hardware, extremely limited, but that's as far with laptop's we are really.

Well yes parts are made to be more compact. Hence the Nvidia Go, and ATI Mobility series. And RAM is smaller, and it costs more too.

Processors, I have absolutely NO idea. They usually can't be upgraded on laptops, you might as well just buy a new one.

i dont think you can build them but thier are some companies that give you some good options on one.

hopefull one day we can buy a case and make our own.:)

Building your own is technically possible if you buy all of the parts either from the manufacturer or eBay, but that'll cost you twice as much as the laptop itself.
The processor can sometimes be upgraded, the ram (SoDimms) can almost always be, and the graphics cards generally can't be upgraded anymore.
I got lucky with my Inspiron 8100. Before I bought it I found out it had an actual graphics card, which could be upgraded (I went from a 16mb Geforce2Go to a 64mb Geforce 440 mx), plus its processor was upgradeable as well (went from 866mhz P3-M to 1.2ghz). Sadly even this isn't the norm in modern notebooks (especially Dell's).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom