SPAM Solution!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHAWN

Field Engineer
New memembers cannot post a new thread until 15 posts, they can only reply!! No more new threads about SPAM!! What do you guys think?

It would be good for free ipod spam and stuff like that, but if someone signs up to ask a legitimate question, they're not going to want to post 15 replies first. And it'll just encourage people to hijack threads to ask their question or post meaningless replies to get their 15 posts. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

So maybe they cant for the first 2 or 1 posts? Usually the Spammers just make a new thread and leave. Maybe if we can drive that away, it will cut down no?

Well.. In the absense of a mod, when is spam really a problem?.. It occurs when there are a lot of users on the forum - and no mod. So why not allow some kind of "auto delete" or "auto suspend" a thread, when it is flagged by about 10 "regular" users (e.g. over 100 posts) as being spam through the "report spam" button.

This way, in the absense of a mod, a new user cannot spam us.

Code:
if( (thread.owner.post_count < 10 OR thread.owner.register_date = today ) AND thread.spam_count >= 10 )
  thread.status = "suspended"
end

There you go! :D. Make sure to check the spam_count counter is incremented only for valid "regular" users, and there is no double-counting!

That would undoubtedly involve adding a field to the database which is not always a small thing.

Yup.. It would involve adding a new field to the "thread" table.. I am assuming "status" is already there. Just need another field for "spam_count". I don't think it's that much of a hasle if they just write a script. If not, they can just create new table indexed by "thread_id". Bad table structure, but still works. Can keep the current tables as is

my solution we make a small subforum under new product/technology forum called addvertisements and when they post there we spam them!!!:p

matt2m said:
my solution we make a small subforum under new product/technology forum called addvertisements and when they post there we spam them!!!:p

huh? that would be kinda pointless..

i like the regular visitor flag spam thing, it wouldn't put too much strain on the database.. actually, it wouldn't put strain on database at all,since when is the last time you've seen a spam :p

Yeh, the flagging is a good idea. It's kind of a democracy here, right? Should be anyway, so if a large number of members have the same feeling about a thread (say, for example, a bunch reported it) it could be closed and a message sent to the mod(s) to look it over and decide if it is spam or not. Or there could be a vote type button on it, only it is a spam button, and after so many times people pressing it the thread becomes temporaril closed. Although, we would have to take into consideration the jerks that would go around closing threads here and there just for the hell of it.

furtivefelon said:
huh? that would be kinda pointless..

i like the regular visitor flag spam thing, it wouldn't put too much strain on the database.. actually, it wouldn't put strain on database at all,since when is the last time you've seen a spam :p

I know i was tring to be funny guess i was not oh well.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom