Slow startup. Sometimes I can't access the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyual767

In Runtime
Several days ago, I noticed that my computer (XP) was taking a long time to boot up when I turned it on. A lot longer than it used to take. Upon startup, it sounds like my hard drive is going nuts and it takes a long time. I tried going to Start, run, msconfig and unchecking some of the 17 items that boot up when the computer is turned on. If I turn any item off, I can't access the internet at all :mad: ! I had to restore all of them with the resulting slow startup.

Then yesterday, I started having more internet access problems. When I leave the computer and then come back, the computer tells me that I'm offline and asks if I want to work offline or attempt to reconnect. Aaarrrgggghhhhh :mad: :mad: :mad: ! I click reconnect and it still says I'm offline! After Xing everything out and going back to the desktop, I can usually get back on by clicking IE. Usually but not always. During this time, my daughter is online with her computer so I know that my Comcast cable service is good.

I tried to system restore to something a while ago but it only had 3 restore points, today and the last two days :eek:. This is when I started having the trouble and now my computer says that there are no restore points prior to the trouble!

It has to be something in this computer. Can anyone help me, please?

BTW, I've run Ad-aware, Spybot and MS Antispyware. Thanks.

ok first of all, don't use IE, I would seriously consider a reformat because you said you did everything I woulda have suggested.

Run Hijackthis.

Okay, I installed Hijackthis and ran it. It pulled up a screen of about 40 or 50 items and basically said that I need to be a spyware expert to know what is what or I may delete good stuff :amazed: :confused: . Needless to say, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to successfully use it.

I would seriously consider a reformat

I'm going to sound really ignorant but what does this mean? My daughter didn't know either. I always wondered what people meant when they said that you had to format]/i] your floppy disk.

Uh, what kind of computer do you have.?
well most people have a OS disc such as XP home, it means it will completly wipe your drive, reinstall windows and youl start clean. youll lose all your data unless you make back ups.

When you reformat it is like getting a new computer fixes most problems.

It's just a simple eMachines that I bought from Best Buy last Dec. I just use it to surf the net. It has 512 RAM, a 2.66 gig processor and 60 gigs of hard drive. Its been working great until just a few days ago. Like I said earlier, even the system restore points are now gone (except for yesterday and the day before that!)

My computer came with XP installed and it didn't have the disc. Maybe there is some disc somewhere but XP was already installed so it doesn't look like that is an option for me.

Call Emachine tech and request a XP disc tell them u own one and give them the XP code on the side of your case if they ask for it.

to start out you should have recieved a packet of cds with your computer. Ive never had a E-machine but i know that dell and hp come with this software package . In his package should be a complete system restore cd or a xp cd. If you dont than like ste said call the tech support or customer service. second go to the spyware section on this fourms and post the complete hijackthis report and some one will help you there. it really sounds like spyware/trojan ect. btw Reformating is where it destroys all of the information on your computer (including windows) and rids u of any problems that you have and requires reinstallation ... but should always be a last resort. and use firefox or avant browser... www.firefox.com is the best.

Yes dell and most prebuilt companies used to give the CD with the computer now they don't no more, why to make more money, you might have to pay for it, maybe shipping maybe the whole thing but a reformat will be well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom