Need help with SONY VAIO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayoufrogg

Solid State Member
I bought a Vaio in 2002 and i left it in my car the other day on accident. It may be a coincidence with leaving it in the car, but now it doesnt go past the SONY screen before it says "MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM." This is one of several messages im getting seeing that ive tried starting it 100 times. It will also say......

"SMART failure predicted on HARD disk 0: (then it has a heart symbol here). WARNING:immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent. "

Sometimes when it has this message, instead of having the heart symbol after the begining.....it will have "IBM-DJSA-220-(PM)"

Im not sure what any of this means. I was given system recovery CDs with the computer and most of the time when i try to run them it says "program terminated." One time it DID go through with the system recovery, but when it restarted the computer........after the sony screen it said missing operating system again.

Now.......somehow after turning computer on and off a million times, one time it just decided to come on. Is there anything that i can look at now since the computer booted up to try and figure out whats wrong. I have the strangest feeling that if I turn it off again it will not reboot.

One time while running the recovery discs it came up and said

"The hard drive is not partitioned. THis utility creates DOS partitions and restarts your computer. If you see this message again, it may be caused by non-DOS partitions on the drive. You must delete the non-DOS partitions to proceed."

I clicked yes for it to proceed and it said "creating a C: partition". After a couple more screens it went to a DOS program. I tried to look at directories for all my drives and it would say "invalid media type reading drive A, C, D(whatever drive i was trying to look at).

If youve read all this i really appreciate your time and if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts, I really like to try and figure out whats going on. Thanks in advance.

Your hard drive is about to die. That is what S.M.A.R.T is made for is error detecting on your hard drive which is a very good feature. I would backup right now all your important data while you can before it is to late. Then install a new hard drive and see if that cures all your problems.

Also sometimes the freezer trick will fix a hard drive. You may also have a virus.

I dont think S.M.A.R.T. would go nuts if he had a virus.

I got a question, is it hot where you live? if so, how hot was it that day...................... I think you may have heat damage.

its new orleans......so its pretty damn hot down here. I had a warranty on the computer that expired last month. When i saw this problem, i called and told them i didnt receive the papers. They said the would send them out again within three weeks. The warranty for another year is $220.00. With hard drive problems.......as this is what everyone seems to think......is it worth to to just pay the warranty and get the work done, or pay to have a private computer tech. look at it. I guess what im asking is how much a new hard drive usually costs. Thanks for all the help guys.

I know sony computer usually come with a recovery cd, but will the recovery cd work on another harddrive? Thats the question you should be concern about if you are gonna buy a new HD. In my opinion, buying the warranty will save you alot of trouble, unless you want to save some money and do it yourself. Up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom