Going back to an older OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMassacre

In Runtime
Oke doke I am finally getting around to installing windows 2000. I was gonna install XP but this comp is five years old so I dont believe it would have the drivers. What is the best windows anyway? I know its based off opinion but I just wanted some. Anyway, if, for some reason I did not want 2000 and wanted to go back to 98 (very doubtful) how would I go back? And also, will installing windows 2000 wipe out all the information on this computer? Or can I install it over everything?

windows 2000 is a solid OS, if ur not gaming or anything, its nice to use. Going back to 98 would be a big mistake, lol. And hows ur computer setup right now? do u have 1 partition for windows and 1 for data, or is it all 1 partition, if so, ul hafta wipe it all, or you could have some problems.

98SE isnt bad. Its just tough to keep up to date and protected. As for 2000, I personally thought it was a great OS. You can install some games but you have to know what you are doing. It doesnt like to many things like games and applications like that. It is a server based OS not a User based OS. You might want to check your system specs cause you might still be able to run XP. It does have lots of old drivers. It just needs at least 256MB RAM to run. I personally suggest 512MB to run since 256MB can be sluggish.

I have 9.53 gigs total. And no I dont game on comps much. Just the older Doom games and Half-Life. And I'm not really sure what a partition is. I know more about computers than the average user but there is much unknown to me. I need to take a good computer class or something.

Well with under 10 Gigs total i would say 2000 Pro would be your best bet. Since XP takes 1Gb to install that can be precious space.

why can't 2000 handle games? i used 2000 for two years before i switched to xp, all the game works fine on there..

yah, you'd do better to switch to 2000, as it's an old os now, everything should work on there, unless of course you want to run certain legacy app that only works on 98..

I'll just install 2000 then. I'll just have to save everything I want on discs. Thats okay though, this thing needs to be wiped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom