Winxp key algorithm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not looking for an algorithm to create a code to use. Just want the algorithms to validate the codes I'm given.

On another note, anyone know who, in Microsoft, I would want to try contacting in regards to this issue?

1. You're probably not going to find that answer here because it's too jaded.

2. Be methodical, and you won't have any problems. If they're your own keys, organize them. If they're client keys, ask the client. If the client doesn't know, look at the OS yourself before you trash the machine. If the machine is already toasted, figure out what install package (disks, MS-distro ISO's, etc) were originally used, and use them.

You guys might want to pay attention here.

This guy is a tech who runs a shop, people call in thier windows product key and he has 6 different versions of windows xp to try to install and figure out what key it is for.

Windows XP Home Retail
Windows XP Home Upgrade
Windows XP Home OEM
Windows XP Professional Retail
Windows XP Professional Upgrade
Windows XP Professional OEM

... The point of this thread is to eliminate the time it takes to eliminate these choices in the worst case scenario the customer or tech does not know what version the product key is suited for.

If you think you have something that could help this situation, by all means we look forward to your post, otherwise please do not bother posting.

Uh...it says what product the key is for, right on the genuine MS label that has the product key...unless they're reading it off of one of those yellow stickers that are often put on the back of the CD case...which says what it is.

Keys are included almost entirely on official stickers or cards now, and before they were included with SOMETHING that looked like a license card or a brand-PC OEM license. If they just have a number written down on their hand, I'd be a bit concerned.

Just ask the people to read the other parts of the label or whatever when they're reading you the key.

csamuels,

That only tells you once you have it installed if it's valid or not.

Coolted,
Best bet is to make contact with the customer service and get them to direct you to the correct people. Sadly, in most cases you will be set off in different direction than where you want to be, but if you are patient, I'm sure you will get somewhere in the end.
The problem with this request is that if you have a tool or something that can validate a license to an install type, you also validate the license as a functional one and can then install pirated copies. I think this is where you will run into either a brick wall or a telephone pole. In either case, I don't think you will get what you are hoping out of this. I can see the usefulness my self, being a system builder, but what it will give you in the end is not something that MS is going to want to give away...

Hope that makes sense...

TangoAlphaBunny said:
You guys might want to pay attention here.

This guy is a tech who runs a shop, people call in thier windows product key and he has 6 different versions of windows xp to try to install and figure out what key it is for.

Windows XP Home Retail
Windows XP Home Upgrade
Windows XP Home OEM
Windows XP Professional Retail
Windows XP Professional Upgrade
Windows XP Professional OEM

... The point of this thread is to eliminate the time it takes to eliminate these choices in the worst case scenario the customer or tech does not know what version the product key is suited for.

If you think you have something that could help this situation, by all means we look forward to your post, otherwise please do not bother posting.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO PAY ATTENTION HERE:
He is pirating software if he uses his own cd's to install windows w/ a key that wasnt sold w/ said disc. If the customer doesnt have a cd then they are out of luck. I go through this all the time and I tell people the same thing, they need to purchase a legal copy of Windows. If they bought a PC without a disc or at least a recovery disc then they got ripped ofF and they learn a lesson for next time.

BTW - stick that last comment up your a**, Dont come here w/ 2 posts to your name and start giving orders. RESPECT

Inaris said:

The problem with this request is that if you have a tool or something that can validate a license to an install type, you also validate the license as a functional one and can then install pirated copies. I think this is where you will run into either a brick wall or a telephone pole. In either case, I don't think you will get what you are hoping out of this. I can see the usefulness my self, being a system builder, but what it will give you in the end is not something that MS is going to want to give away...

Hope that makes sense...

Makes sense, well said

Thanks for an worth while reply to the question and I think that the right kind of thinking and unforunitaly you appear to be right as it may be something ms doesnt want us to have

Inaris said:

Hope that makes sense...

Thanks for the reply, I will look forward to future lookouts on this subject and continue to do it the "old fashioned way" good luck all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom