I've lost my data on my HDD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofreeb

Baseband Member
Hi,

I took out a hard drive from a computer and when I put it on another one everything was gone! I think it is down to the file system that may be corrupted.

What can I do to recover my 40 GB of songs?

Ofreeb

40 GB of songs huh, that's a lot.

Can you give us some more information about exactly what you did? A little more info about what exactly you mean by gone? More info about your original setup and the new setup?

ya i did that once to. i hooked the hdd from my computer up to a friends to copy some pictures over and then the drive no longer worked. could not bootup, dont remember if i got an error or what really happened. i think just got a different hd

Has to have something to do with the partition, does it still work in the computer it came out of?

did you take it out of an xp computer(ntfs) and put it into one with windows 98(fat32)??, or do you use linux on one??

dont mean to take over the thread but i know in my experience the computer was off. it went from one xp machine to another xp machine which i remember reading earlier today that does not work but i dont know why it would ruin the drive. could you use something like partition table doctor to fix the partition table.

Juice Daddy said:
care to explain?

During the boot process when the ntldr is loaded the minifile system is run so ntldr can read file from FAT or NTFS file system. Then ntldr is able to read the boot.ini file. Ntldr run the program ntdetect.com which is use to check the hardware devices and passes this information back to the ntldr which will later be used to update the registry. Ntldr then loads ntoskrn.exe, hal.dll and the system hive(which is a portion of the registry that include hardware information that is use to load the proper device driver for the current hardware. Ntldr then passes the process over to ntoskrn.exe and the process is complete.

Thats why you can't just swapp harddrive with an OS already install on it.

I was kind of too direct about my point and not realize that you maybe able to do so If you had more then one hardware profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom