new cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure you can use a XP3200. But if not i had a feeling it was to upgrade yours lol. A 3000 will suit you fine man.

benzimm86 said:
so you dont think i will notice much difference from 1733 mhz to 2.16 ghz
It's just not really worth it for $100 that could be put towards a good $800 system. Unless you cant afford the cash for a new computer within the next four or five months it's not worth it. I'm not trying to be a jerk but according to your sig, your computer isn't worth upgrading. The only part I'd upgrade on it is the video card if thats an AGP. Although, that's only if you use this for gaming or graphical editing.

i dont game at all and i just started to edit video from my mini-dv camcorder. I guess i am not really looking for a super increase, just dont like the choppy video when i play what i have edited. when i press play to watch the vid it takes like 15 sec for it to start and my cpu goes to 100% usage while i use barly any of my ram. how could i get my ram to be utilized more to put less stress on my cpu

benzimm86 said:
i dont game at all and i just started to edit video from my mini-dv camcorder. I guess i am not really looking for a super increase, just dont like the choppy video when i play what i have edited. when i press play to watch the vid it takes like 15 sec for it to start and my cpu goes to 100% usage while i use barly any of my ram. how could i get my ram to be utilized more to put less stress on my cpu
Well, it seems like you don't do much with your computer that requires any newer hardware, maybe just some slightly older parts. I'm assuming you've scanned for spy/adware and viruses/trojans. Seeing as you don't want to spend too much, you can only really upgrade one piece of hardware. The two apparent choices I see are processor and video card. First, a question: do DVDs take as long to start as your recorded videos? I can't see a GeForce 4 having trouble with playing videos, maybe editing. Otherwise maybe a socket A 2800 or higher would be worth it if you plan on keeping this computer for a while.

No i do not have any problems playing dvd and after i burned the same video file that i was editing on to a dvd it played fine. it just that when i am in the program ulead video studio 9 and try to view the video is when i have mass cpu usage.

* Intel Pentium III 800 MHz or higher
* Microsoft Windows 98 SE, 2000, Me, XP
* 256 MB of RAM (512 MB or more recommended)
* 1.2 GB of available hard drive space for program installation
* 4 GB+ hard drive space for video capture and editing
* Windows-compatible display with at least 1024x768 resolution
* Windows-compatible sound card
Minimum system requirements for Ulead VideoStudio 9
You meet all those easily.

Have you scanned for spyware, adware, viruses? Defragged? Are you running low on hard drive space? Also, do you know you hard drive's model number or info such as RPMs and cache?

benzimm86 said:
No i do not have any problems playing dvd and after i burned the same video file that i was editing on to a dvd it played fine. it just that when i am in the program ulead video studio 9 and try to view the video is when i have mass cpu usage.

Some software will eat up 100% of your CPU usage no matter what.

If I play a sound file in any version of sound forge, on any computer, uses 100% CPU usage.

I think it's something to do with realtime programs.

I have microsoft antispyware, runs everynight. nortan antivirus, not sure how often that runs. i use diskeeper and that runs as needed by smart schedules. I have more than enough hard drive space prob have a total of 65 gig available of my 160 total. i am not sure on the models but i think one is a western digital 40 gig which i hear kinda suck but it is from when i first built my pc 3 years ago.

I have microsoft antispyware
That's usually not enough. While spy/adware might be the problem, I doubt it can cause one program to perform that poorly. Check out this thread for Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06. Download them, update the definitions like you would in Norton, then full scan your system when you have a chance, then update and scan about once per week or even once a month if you're lazy. Seeing as you bought your computer three years ago, the hard drives should be at least 5,400 and shouldn't have a problem in this situation. The last thing I can think of is to check out the program's developers to be sure they're legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom