windows update can't download

Status
Not open for further replies.
acuariano said:
well i'm still waiting for a response for microsoft..now..i did a "windows repair"..and when it was installing it brought me to errors one for outlook express[that i never use]and the other one for "windows update" c:\windows\system32\inetcomm.dll . maybe damage or corrupted.. ok when it brought windows back,, SP2 was deleted..i installed the SP2 and got another error message..it couldn't installed "service pack2 setup error" windows xp has been partially updated and may not work properly...i log onto windows update ,,it takes some time..and then i get "error#0x8007005" the website has encountered a problem and can not display the page you're trying to view.
so i'm going from back to worse..what can i do..i think that if i get a fresh copy,,i'll get the same error about windows update..oh.i'll bring this to the technician..last STEP
note:..also now i had problems opening my WORD program,,nero...and limewire..

1. are you using IE?
2. it look like they are locking your computer for a bootleg key. you are describing the symptoms here. they have lock legit computers in the past

if it is no.2 you would have to use powermax that in my signature to wipe the hard drive clean and start over

also copy your dell drivers for C\dell folder before you reformat

you need to learn how to slipstream sp2 into a xp disc. google autostreamer.

PS zonealarm has this vector thing, so even if you turn ZA off it will still block stuff. the purpose of this was so no hacker could disable your firewall

1.- yes i'm still using IE..i have access
2.-i have a legit key,bought my pc from dell,i remove zone alarm and now using outpost,,now when i go to windows explorer page i get this error "
[Error number: 0x80070420]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
also i wrote to microsoft again,,they response only once...when they gave me instructions is because they verify i have a legitkey right?
i have my dell drivers on a separate cd,now from what you say "you need to learn how to slipstream sp2 into a xp disc. google autostreamer" i don't understand this.
i have the instructions on a book from dell about how to get a "fresh install" but i always heard from various sources that this is not as easy as it look....now can you tell please the use of powermax..thanks for your advices

I'm busy swapping pieces out of this computer. I will answer you in a couple of hours.

acuariano said:
1.- yes i'm still using IE..i have access
2.-i have a legit key,bought my pc from dell,i remove zone alarm and now using outpost,,now when i go to windows explorer page i get this error "
[Error number: 0x80070420]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
also i wrote to microsoft again,,they response only once...when they gave me instructions is because they verify i have a legitkey right?
i have my dell drivers on a separate cd,now from what you say "you need to learn how to slipstream sp2 into a xp disc. google autostreamer" i don't understand this.
i have the instructions on a book from dell about how to get a "fresh install" but i always heard from various sources that this is not as easy as it look....now can you tell please the use of powermax..thanks for your advices

OK. I was busy today.

if you have a version of xp home and you have a sp2 file downloaded on your computer. your can slipstream (mix them together) them to one disc.

I have powermax cd iso in my signature. download it. burn it as an image file with roxio, alcohol or nero (which program do you have?).
boot from your cd. follow the instructions. it will erase your hard drive and your mbr (xp tools can't touch the mbr. MS can put stuff there to make your computer act goofy). then reinstall windows.

if powewrmax erase completly the hard drive,,then my winxp [cd] won't be regognized...or not ..also i have the SP2 on a cd,,microsoft sent it to me,,,do i have to unplug my dsl connection.?..i was thinking to install SP2 after windows got installed

After a reformat you should have no trouble getting XP to install again. If it gives you some crap about the product ID not being valid simply call the Microsoft number provided and they will give you a new one with no hassle so long as its legit.

Yup install SP2 first thing after you format. When I reformat mine or a work PC I always do this: Reformat>Install XP>Install SP2>Install all security updates and patches>Install latest drivers then from there any order really.

Generally it is ok to install a slip stream version with SP2 on a home machine, but I advise against it for a corporate atmosphere. Reason being some companies have software out there not compatible with SP2 and when its slip streamed there is no way to remove SP2 besides repairing with a XPSP1 disc. If you install them seprately you can simply remove SP2 and be done.

pardon my ignorance but,what do you mean by this "Generally it is ok to install a slip stream version with SP2 on a home machine"

Meaning for a normal home user who doesnt have a lot of network related items or proprietary software to worry about conflicting with SP2. Personally I have been fine with SP2 and do a bunch of network type stuff (VPN to work, RDP, telnet, FTP etc)

If you do the safe route would be seperate installs so you can roll back if need be (which I have had to do to a couple here at work).

acuariano said:
if powewrmax erase completly the hard drive,,then my winxp [cd] won't be regognized...or not ..also i have the SP2 on a cd,,microsoft sent it to me,,,do i have to unplug my dsl connection.?..i was thinking to install SP2 after windows got installed

your xp cd will see the hardrive

if you have both cds it is an easy process. stick the xp cd in your top cd rom and sp2 in your second cd rom. open autostreamer. follow their simple direction. it will rip you a XP SP2 disc to an .iso file on your hard drive. burn it back to disc.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Autostreamer-Download-13918.html

acuariano said:
pardon my ignorance but,what do you mean by this "Generally it is ok to install a slip stream version with SP2 on a home machine"

he saying if this is your personal computer, you will be allright, but don't slipstream it, if it is your work computer

EricB said:
OK. I was busy today.

if you have a version of xp home and you have a sp2 file downloaded on your computer. your can slipstream (mix them together) them to one disc.

I have powermax cd iso in my signature. download it. burn it as an image file with roxio, alcohol or nero (which program do you have?).
boot from your cd. follow the instructions. it will erase your hard drive and your mbr (xp tools can't touch the mbr. MS can put stuff there to make your computer act goofy). then reinstall windows.
can you update please the links to powermax c iso...i was trying to download and it takes forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom