"The Plan" -I hate dell

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sure the 410 psu would work on my 4550 dimension dell? when ordering it, it said please verify ur computer, and the only dell they had that was a dimension was the 8100?

No no I am not saying that PSU is crappy I saying that is POS that you would have to spend $100 for it, I can't cough up that much change for a PSU.

Are you certain any PSU will not fit Dell case as they used to...
You will never move your system into a new case because like many other mfgr's Dell uses a proprietary plug to power switch you will never be able to use...won't turn on!

Yea there noway he can get a psu from newegg., Cause Dell is gay they make sure you cant make upgrades as much. No matter hwat you must buy it from Dell there psu are custom fitted to there cases. Which sucks but its the only way.

Ok. I really wish there was a sticky that outlined the compatibility issues of Dell PC. How many questions do we all answer on a weekly basis about this?

The PSU that DJ-CHRIS recommended although very good will not fit in that 4550 case. SO DON'T BUY THAT ONE. But PCP&C does make a PSU that will fit in a 4550 case and it's this one here.
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/selector/dell.htm?show=T425D

The Turbo-Cool 425 for Dell is different then any other PSU in only one way. It was designed "without" a switch. Dell cases are designed with out an opening for a switch because their stock PSU'S don't use them. So in order to upgrade you need a PSU that doesn't have a switch.

There are other obvious issues that you need to know before upgrading a DELL PSU also. Like 20 pin or 24pin & 16pin vs. P4 pin. But, PCP&C has gone ahead and put together Dell Lists so you can match your model with a Dell PC for compatibility.

The Turbo-Cool 425w is 20pin & P4. You'll get 425watts continuous and peak power of up to 500watts. You'll get a solid 20a on the 12v Rail. This PSU has a lot of balls. Although it has a price tag of $149.00 it certainly is not only the best you can buy, but it's the best you can buy for a dell. And if you ever upgrade your PC and rebuild in the future, you can certainly use that PSU as I am also. You just won't be able to use it in a PCI express/SLI system. As a 24pin is required.

I've got tons of components in my new rebuilt system including a p4 3.4ghz, X800XTPE and (4) SATA HDD'S... plus a bunch of other things. And this PSU is solid. And still has enough balls to overclock.

If you can spend the cash... buy the PSU. You won't regret it.

Although, Buying a new case & motherboard and scraping the Dell 4550 mojo is probably the better of the two, don't forget, unless you have a full version if windows XP, your Dell OEM windows won't work with a rebuild. And oh yeah, you'll need to format your HDD and reinstall also.

Good Luck...

If you have any questions about your Dell, PM me. I used to own a 8300 and I've worked on more Dell's then I care to talk about.

I Hate Dell too. Just look a my freakin' sig...
Although, i like DJ-CHRIS's better... have you listen to his trance?
wow-break out the glow sticks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom