How do you uninstall programs from Dos? Computer won't start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackecho

Baseband Member
I am repairing a computer with Win98. When I restart it, it loads Windows up to the point where it asks you for your user name and password. After that screen, and before Explorer loads, it opens a box that says Ggviewer has preformed an illegal operation and gives you the option for details or to close the program. The detailes are just a bunch of numbers and when you close it (the only option) it dosen't load any other programs and basiclly freezes. I used crtl-alt-delete and found that no other programs were loading or loaded. I've fixed many computers before and this is hard. Any ideas on how to remove programs from dos, via a startdisk? Or any ideas how to fix this problem?

As a side note... I think that program that is trying to load, is the Google Toolbar.

it, when booted in safe mode, proceeds to boot to the command promt- which is no different than when I start it with the boot disk anyway. and how do you find and rename programs in dos? or better yet, does anybody know a way to cancel what loads up on boot through dos?

Sometimes when you can manage yourself to program files and the programs themselves you can find the uninstall program for that particular program. Try that the next time you startup again.

pressing F7 after POST, hit it repeatedly, will bypass your config and autoexec. Once in windows before any login, programs in the registry key
HMLocalMachine (and CurrentUser)> software> microsoft> windows> current version> windows> run

HOLD THE SHIFT KEY to bypass programs on Windows boot, it may still run the progs from the registry anyway but im not sure

you can run scanreg /restore from the cmd prompt to rollback your windows sys files. I think it holds up to 5 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom