Wireless works only sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifreak3

In Runtime
My problem is that after being in standby or hibernation mode my wireless internet doesn't work. However it always works fine after a cold boot or if I restart right after returning from hibernation or standby. The icon on the bottom right of the screen will say that I am connected to the net with a connection deemed "excellent" by windows, however nothing will ever load in IE or any other program! What's the deal? This occurs in both my laptop and my desktop which both have wireless cards.

check for the latest firmware for the router and drivers for your wireless cards. If that doesnt work you might want to try resetting your router config to default and reconfig it

How do I check for the firmware on the router? All I do to set it up is just plug it into the wall (1 cord for power and 1 for the phone line for the DSL). I don't know what firmware is or what that really means. I will check the drivers for the wireless cards though. Also what is the router config? Neither of the computers actually "know" what kind of router I am using because I have never had to "install" the router on one of them. Please help!

i dont think its the router, my computer did this when i was hooked straight to a cable modem, exactly the same symptoms. i think its windows but thats my opinion. i kno not much help but i just forgot about it and just leave my pc on all the time. its better than turning it on and off. when does a light bulb almost always go out, when u turn it on. same as a pc imo. u can try typing ipconfig/renew at the command prompt and thatll give a new ip address and see if that fixes it when u come out of standby/hiber or search msn, they mite have a fix for it.

Attempting to just "repair" the connection has no effect, it still acts the same way after the connection has been supposedly repaired.

Typing ipconfig/renew at the command prompt doesn't help at all either.

What is the deal? Windows think the wireless connections are "excellent" but they are crap after returning from hybernation or standby. Please help!

go to device manager, go to properties of your network card, click power manament. uncheck the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.

doing this even help wired network cards when they come out of standby and hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom