worm/virus attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

2003crush

Beta member
Help! :( I know that I have a virus or worm in my system, since yeseterday, my system generated an error message referring to the rpc service and nt authority system and did a spontaneous shutdown. I went to the rpc service properties, then recovery, and set all failures to "take no action" to stop the spontaneous shutdown. I had the same symptom last month 'coz my system was infected by the nachi worm. But I got rid of it using my AVG antivirus program and the stinger.exe removal tool from McAfee. But now, I can't get rid of whatever this virus/worm is 'coz I don't know what it is! I already updated my AVG, ran it, and I also ran almost all the virus removal tools from Symantec and McAfee, to no avail. I scanned for spyware using Spybot and it got rid of all the spyware and adware it detected. I also checked all the processes that were running in my system, and they seem to be valid. Finally, I ran HijackThis and here's the log. Please tell me what could have infected my system. Please, please, pleasssse!!! I don't wanna have to reformat my hard drive. Thanks in advance ;)

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 12:22:54 PM, on 1/10/2004
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTSvcCDA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\crypserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\Audio2K\PROGRAM\CTMIX32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\GeniusKB.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Alset\HelpExpress\Roanne\HXDL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\MediaDet.Exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\GetRight\GETRIGHT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: SysShield IE Popup Blocker - {9A23B8A4-C6C9-4A68-8FA6-5F905DC8FF80} - C:\Program Files\SysShield Tools\Internet Eraser\PKExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Disc Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CreativeMixer] C:\Program Files\Creative\Audio2K\PROGRAM\CTMIX32.EXE /t
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CHotKey] GeniusKB.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HELPEXP.EXE] C:\Program Files\Alset\HelpExpress\Roanne\Client\HelpExp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HXDL.EXE] C:\Program Files\Alset\HelpExpress\Roanne\HXDL.EXE -from="HXIUL.EXE" -to="HXIUL.EXE"
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with NetPumper - C:\Program Files\NetPumper\AddUrl.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: CuteShield Internet Eraser (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/swdir.cab
O16 - DPF: {90C9629E-CD32-11D3-BBFB-00105A1F0D68} (InstallShield International Setup Player) - http://www.napster.com/client/isetup.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8510B699-9C96-49EA-9175-FB4765BEC5A6}: NameServer = 210.14.16.5 202.57.125.1

Yes, I do. I've already installed the security patch and run the removal tool, but it didn't find anything. Do you have any other idea what it could be? Thanks =)

Do you have any idea as to what C:\WINDOWS\GeniusKB.exe might be ?

You can also have hijack fix
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HELPEXP.EXE] C:\Program Files\Alset\HelpExpress\Roanne\Client\HelpExp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HXDL.EXE] C:\Program Files\Alset\HelpExpress\Roanne\HXDL.EXE -from="HXIUL.EXE" -to="HXIUL.EXE"

Yes, I've turned off system restore. And I'm pretty sure it's not the blaster worm anymore since I've run the removal tool twice and it didn't find the blaster worm in my system. Does any of those items in my hijackthis log seem like a virus file? Oh, and the geniuskb.exe actually refers to my keyboard driver 'coz i have a genius multimedia keyboard.

my cousin used to work for Genius selling cameras and related stuff.
maybe if it has caused damage you could try a repair install, also try what Microbell said and do a restore and remove the restoration files and tell us if it helps

MicroBell said:
I'm not sure this has a bareing on you..but be advised there are 6 versions of the blaster worm...and if the wrong removal tool is used it will not remove or find it. Your log file...looks fine.

As well there is another trojan on the prowl with the same symptoms I cleaned up for a poster a couple weeks back.

The problem sounds like the new virus Agobot. It is very similiar to the Blaster virus and acts just like it but AVG should find it and remove it. I had a hard time removing it from a couple of computers that I was working on at my shop. Are you sure that AVG is actually updating I had a problem with that also. The Agobot virus will shutdown antivirus programs a cause all kinds of havoc on a computer.

Agree with all the suggestions .. Just wanted to add on .. Enable ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) n' disable System Restore ..Before running the Clean up tool ..

Ur Logs seem to be all normal elsewise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom