Laptop making quiet "clicking" noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
Ok, I got a Sony VAIO laptop, and every once and a while, it will make a quick "clicking" noise. Its not very loud, but its just loud enough to notice it if the room is quiet. However, everything appears to be running fine on it. What could the clicking noise be? Is it something to worry about? Thanks for any replies.

That would be your harddrive. It may be a warning sign for you to do a backup frequently.

Try HD Tune it's a software that monitor the health of your HD

Also make sure the HD is not operating over the recommended temputure.

Well, i've run that program, and it seems to say everything is ok, even after doing an error scan. Its running at 37*C. Lets just hope this is nothing serious.

They do, Law is just a little paranoid...

Every laptop I have been around does a little click noise when the HD is working.

hmm, i'm not suffering from this problem on my Amilo M3438. might have something to do with my hd being S-ATA.

definitely sounds like its the hdd. its the only thing that could make a clicking noise. at least its the only thing that could make a clicking noise thats inconsistent. if it were a fan or something of the like it would be more or less constant. don't know if its anything to be worried about though. in any case keeping regular backups is never a bad idea and if it is failing it may just save you some trouble

Ive had a laptop that has made a 'clicking' noise for the past 10 years. The bastard is STILL working!!

I think your fine. Laptops tend to make weird little noises like that.

Mine did that, but it was pretty damn loud. It would scare the hell out of me whenever it did it, but nothing bad ever happened. Just ignore it and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom