Install Windows XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac12251

Solid State Member
I want to install Windows XP Pro. I presently have Windows XP on the computer now. Would it be best to uninstall Windows XP prior to installing Windows XP Pro. What is the best way to uninstall Windows XP before installing Pro. Thanks!

Presently have E-Machine 40 Gig HD 256 Memory With a fresh reformatted Hard Drive

Two options

Put the CD in and choose fresh installation you will lose all of your data if you do this but sometimes it's best as it gets ride of spyware and all of that.

Put in the CD and choose upgrade. Your files will remain and your XP home becomes XP Pro.

Install of Windows XP Pro

The program does not give me the option of a fresh install. It gives me a window that says the version of windows which is XP is newer than the one I want to install which is XP Pro. Should I uninstall windows XP first then proceed to install XP Pro

Just click yes to that screen and then you will be presented the two options.

And don't worry about that screen it means nothing I had the same thing when I went from XP home (retail) to XP Pro (MSDN).

About that, say you have a Dell copy of Windows on the HD, is is best to just completely clear the HD then format it in NTFS, and then pop in the CD?

No it doesn't matter because either way you will format your hard drive (if you choose so). So in the end it will be reformated anyways. Before or during the install process so don't worry either way it's a fresh start. I hope that made sense.

In short it does not matter. I'm sorry you have a dell though I hope you will be able to get your drivers working.

OMG Tyler, I bought a new copy of Windows XP, I was saying what was the best way to get rid of the old Dell version on it...

And look at my specs, I am as far away from a Dell as can be.

The best way is in the setup to do a full format. That will wipe the drive clean of all things that were on it. As far as the Dell thing goes...Dell isnt bad i run one with no problems what so ever. I formatted my drive when i first got it and installed my own XP Pro on it. I have never had any problems with my system. It is just that if you try ti use a Dell OS disk on another system that it doesnt install everything cause the disk was tailored to your system. So if you use it on another system it wont have everything. I hope that makes sense. I hope that clears things up a little bit for you Counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom