Best Cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

msett

Solid State Member
I am going to build a new computer coming up for the latest games and all. I plan on spending 400-500 on a processor. I have been looking at th P4 3.2GHZ. Also I have been looking at AMD 64 3400. Which would be best? Should I wait for the intel prescott?
Thanks
Matt

ok 64 bit amd cpus are first edition and would make you a gini pig. And theres almost no 64 apps out there so if you buy a 64 bit o/c you wont be happy and if you dont enable 64 bit cpablity it isn't the smoothest performer any more an intel kicks in. Intel 3.2ghz is way over priced dont get it. And prescott they wont have 64 bit capablity at first they'll have it integrigated but not turned on until latery after they move out from 478pin stuff but in 478pin configuartion there only going up to 3.7ghz prescotts. And only right now 865pe and 875p will run precott. My advice get 2.8ghz intel or 3ghz intel o/c it with pc4000 ram and get it up to 3.6-3.8. You can do that if you have good cooling etc.

I would go with the amd 64 no question first of all you get a better chip all around and even if there are no applications now FOR WINDOWS it dosnet mean that it wont be an advantage in the recent future if you look at performance tests the amd 64 chips beat the p4 3.2 ht, (and that was only the 3200) also amd chips cheaper than their Intel "equivalant"
so in conclusion go with the amd 64

here's an article on 64 bit which has some comparison tests too

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112749,pg,1,00.asp

Thanks for the replys. What I would be looking for is somthing were I purchase a motherboard were I would be able to upgrade in the future. It sounds like the new intel processors in the future will not be on socket 478. I am just trying to find out what I would be getting moneys worth buying.
THanks
Matt

oh they will. Prescott will be in 478 pin configuartion for 1-4 months of first coming out but will not go above 3.7ghz. And they are making a celly prescott witch will have 512 cache and go from 2.2ghz to 2.7ghz at first will come in almost all possable pin configuartion

I wont be buying parts until may probably because we just bought 2 laptops. Hoping in may my dad will say yes that he will buy stuff. So what do you think will be my options then?
Matt

in may of 2004? no worries prescott is due to come out anytime between febuary-late summer. And from then for 4 months the precott will be in 478pin so i would wait until then although its going to be very expensive for 487 because there going to be very limited. But i buy every 2 generation of cpus so i wouldn't think you would need the raw power of that precott. But if you really want to buy wait till that prescott hits 940pin and they will be slightly cheaper by 1 grand or so

i personally would wait until the athlon moves over to its 940 pin socket with dual channel memory. the athlon 64 3200+ already shows that it can tie or even beat the p4 3.2 while at $100 less. the 3400+ easily beats the pentium 4 in almost all benchmarks. IN 32BIT APPLICATIONS. SuSE already has its 64 bit version of linux, and ms is coming out with 64 bit windows somteime next year.

Thanks for all the replys guys. I have no clue what to do since there are so many answers. When will amd be moving over to the new socket? Also when is intel going to make prescott on new socket. I really dont want to wait pass june. What in your opinion would you do? If I got a prescott in may or so, would it still be considered very good for long?
Matt

prescott is due between febuary and early summer. The 478pin models will be very slick yet at a couple of thousands of dollars its primarly going to be used in servers and workstations. Advice=since your waiting all of a couple months nothing will really happen to much by then. So i would just get a nice 3ghz intel or 3200+ amd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom