2 or more OS' at once?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vista will not be like Linux in any way though I hear they may try to implement a basic security feature found on *nix OS's, the super-user.

Having said that if your really interested in Linux then try out a few Live Cd's. They allow you to run Linux from a CD without having to install Linux to your drive. Live CD's have many many uses but it's a great way to get yourself familiar without having to commit to installing it.

Have a look at this thread I put together in the Linux Forum. It has allot of great links to help get you familiar with Linux and where to get distros, both Live CD's and full installation distros.

Tech Forums Linux Links

From a Live Cd standpoint most people go for Knoppix, Mandrake Move or Slax. Any one would be a good choice.

As for full blown install distros for a beginner I would recommend either Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) or Suse 9.3 Pro. Read, read and read as much as you can about Linux so that you can familiarize yourself. It's very different from Windows. Especially read up about the distro you plan on using. Good luck. :)

Follow my link and click on the "Live Cd" link, choose Knoppix, Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Slax. Make sure once you download the ISO that you burn the image to disc and not make a data CD. Refer to your CD burning software as to how to burn an image to disc. Once you have your CD burned then boot your PC to it, don't try run it within Windows.

GuitarFreak1857 said:
if i've never used linux and i don't read abt it will it be impossible?

Impossible? No. Extremely frustrating and confusing? Absolutely!

Take the time to read about it and get familiar with it. People often jump feet first into Linux expecting it to be some what like Windows but only "free". Then when they realise just how different it is they either give up on it or take the time to learn about it. I highly suggest learning about it first.

Follow the links I provided, allot of good information is to be found there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom