Suspected RAM Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BE4TNUT

Solid State Member
I have my new computer system up and runing but I have been having problems with hanging during 3D games after playing a while and benchmark testing, upgraded all drivers, checked all connections and talked to Tech Support for my graphics card because I thought that was my problem. After checking around I decided to test out my RAM so I got Memtest86 and when i run both DIMMS in, and run for 28 hours i get 850 errors. When I run one in for 4 hours i have 0 errors, and when i run the other in for 12 hours i get 0 errors. Im confused why i get errors when both DIMMS are in but not when only one is in at a time, any ideas? The system hangs I get are either Blue Screen (can trigger it to get error message if you would like) or the screen just kicks off (like a powersaving mode) and I cant get it to recover and have to do a hot re-start.

System Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
BFG nForce 4 Ultra Mobo
BFG 6800GT OC PCIe Graphics Card
Corsair XMS 3200 (2 x 512MB)
Antec NeoPower 480w PSU
Creative Audigy 2 Z2 Sound Card
Maxtor 250gig SATA HDD
Sony FDD
Plextor Optical Drive

BE4TUNT

It is slightly possible that it is slot related. Try using all your different slots to figure out the possibility of a faulty slot.

Ok after some further troubleshooting this is what I have found. After testing each DIMM of ram individually for at least 4 hours on each stick, i read no errors for either. Once I put both back in after running testing for approximately 8 hours it read 2 errors. I dont know for sure if it was a seating problem or if for some reason the system doesn't like running them together in dual channel. But my system is running more stable than it was... I can actually completed 3dMark03 & 05 benchmarks so there is some improvement making me think maybe re-seating the ram helped the situation...

BE4TNUT

I'm having exactly the same problem, everything seems ok except for a few 3D games. In-game the system will freeze and I have to reset, this seems to happen mainly with Half-Life 2, Halo and a couple of others, Call of Duty and XIII have been fine.
I ran memtest86 and it's fine with the ram in individually, but comes up with errors when both DIMMs are in - in any configuration.

Here's my spec:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton
2x 512mb 3200 DDR
Asus A7V600 SE
Nvidia GeForce Ti 4200

Anyone got any ideas?

Have either of you checked temperatures and fan speeds...more common problem in qaming frankly.

My fans speeds are currently full on until I can get it running how I want to. Also I am always monitoring the temps and my CPU is idling at 29*C and other temp sensors arent reading to much higher than that at idle. Under load my CPU gets up to about 37*C, everything is within spec and safe temp wise.

After re-seating my RAM I am running alot more stable but still having slight problems and found my RAM settings are not what they should be at. I need them set at 2.5-3-3-6 and wasn't set close to those settings which could be giving me problems. Im waiting to hear back from BFG Tech (mobo manufacturer) because the BIOS (even after updating to newest BIOS) will not let me turn the second setting to a number lower than 5. BFG said it should give me the option so they are going to plug some XMS ram into their mobo and see if they get the option (if they do i need to RMA my mobo, if not they need to find out why the settings arent giving the options they need and supply a fix). At the moment my RAM is set at 2.5-5-3-6 so within the next 24 hours I should be hearing results from BFG. Any ideas from anyone else? Ill let you know what I find out.

Thanks again,
BE4TNUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom