Going to partition hard drive? maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
Well, I am building a new computer with the specs listed below. It has a 250gb hdd. If I partition it people have said make the os part around 30gb. OK, no problem. I will put os and install all programs on this side. Right?? So the next partition I will go in after I get into the os and all is installed and make the next part 220 or what is left. Right???
Well, my next question is going to be long. I install itunes on os part (we'll call it c). I will be transferring all my songs for itunes from my other computer to this one. ??Install on C? or the big partition (called D). Install Napster on C transfer songs from other computer to C or D? I think you get what I am asking.
When I install a picture program Microsoft Digital Image 10 for instance install on C and where do I transfer my pictures to c or d?
Then when all is installed where will my pictures go C or D and how do I get them there? I have worked with many computers but never taken the plunge to do this so I am a little apprehensive. I wish I could just talk to someone on the phone and ask them some questions.
I install pinnacle studio 9 does all my video go to c or d?? These are some of the questions I have. I have it down how to partition I just don't get where everything goes and how I make sure it gets there. Also, if I should make more than 2 partitions and why I should even partition at all. If I do make more than 2 what would be the advantage of it??
As the mighty whizbang said earlier
The other partition can be subdivided by folders, such as one for downloads, one for data, and another for backup to OS, another for stored CDs,...etc. how do you go about doing this????

I have a 60 gig drive and partitioned it as follows:

25 gigs (C) Operating System and applications
35 gigs (D) labeled "Multimedia"

I essentially remapped "My Documents" to my "D" drive by right clicking on "My Documents" >> Properties >> Move and I chose the entire "D Partition".

I store all my videos, pictures, mp3's etc etc there. If I ever want to reinstall my OS, which I did last week I won't lose anything in "My Documents" since I mapped it to it's own partition. Then when I'm done reinstalling my OS I just remap "My Documents" again and all is fine.

I hope that makes some sort of sense.

Yeah it does and something I should do sometime I keep all my stuff on my C drive though and keep a seperate partition containing a backup recovery file on the D partation. Your method seems a bit more logical.

It does make things much easier when it comes time to reinstall. Another thing I do is keep a folder in My Documents called "Set-Up Exe's" which I update often with program exe's so I don't have to hunt everything down again when it's time reinstall applications after an OS reinstall.

tribalsun said:
It does make things much easier when it comes time to reinstall. Another thing I do is keep a folder in My Documents called "Set-Up Exe's" which I update often with program exe's so I don't have to hunt everything down again when it's time reinstall applications after an OS reinstall.

Would you explain a little further here. Thanks.

Simple, I keep a separate folder in My Documents for set-up executables for various applications for my PC. Such as Musicmatch, Opera, flash, Java, shockwave, winamp etc etc so when I reinstall my OS I don't have to scour the web looking for those applications again.

For certain programs, yes. For others I keep some older ones around as I may not like the newer versions. The main point is that I keep what I need there so I don't waste time going around the web downloading applications all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom