Computer Hardware Zone New Format = BAAAAAAADDDDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about waiting until the dust settles before you pass judgement?

There are more things brewing than just this.

Trotter said:
How about waiting until the dust settles before you pass judgement?

There are more things brewing than just this. [/B]

Fair enough Trotter. But just by looking at it, I get the feeling that the division is really poor. I am all for dividing the forum into different subsections. But, I don't agree with the way it was divided. We'll see. I guess we'll know in a few weeks time.

I think you guys are going to have moderation problems with this "highend/Lowend" thing.. Also, as I've said in this thread, where is a "design" subforum??.. :eek:.. You guys just completely ignored it.

Also, as I've said in this thread, where is a "design" subforum??

Make a suggestion.

The "high-end/low-end" is like that on purpose. Not everyone wants/needs/can afford the newest/fastest/bestest anything. Some people just want to breathe life into the old computer that they already have. For them, there is "low-end".

And for those with deep pockets/rich parents, there is the "high-end".

All recommendations need to be in line with the forum it is in. No 7800's in the low end, no ATI Rage in high-end.

Kapish?

Oh, and the modding/building forum is going bye-bye, to be merged with the subs. I dunno about the OC, though.

Trotter said:
Make a suggestion.

I already did.. Somewhere..

Trotter said:
The "high-end/low-end" is like that on purpose. Not everyone wants/needs/can afford the newest/fastest/bestest anything. Some people just want to breathe life into the old computer that they already have. For them, there is "low-end".

Well there's the problem right there. Who determines what is "expensive" and what is not?.. For a high schooler a 3500+ might be super cool. But for someone who has a job, that's pocket change. And for someone in serious computing, a 3500+ is a nothing processor. They have multi processor computer systems with the best processors on the market.

My whole point is that this is a very subjective division. It depends on person to person. Is a 6800 GT high end?.. Why??.. Or why not??.. A person who's new to the forum will have no idea what "our" perspective on what is high-end and low-end is.

It's nice and dandy to say "well, the high end goes here, and the low-end goes here". But there is no way of determining that reliably. Plus, how can you "search" for previous information - within a subforum?. Is one of you mods going to filter through the messages and "move" them to the low-end section when the previous "high-end" components become obsolete? Obviously not.

The mere fact that the SAME question can appear on DIFFERENT sub forums, depending on when the question was asked (last year vs this year), should ring alarm bells in our heads. Information should never be divided this way.

Plus, what would you even divide a forum this way?.. Who cares if the component is high end or low end?.. Would different people help out or give advice of different quality simply b/c the vid card is a 7800 vs a 4200 ??. Of course not. It only matters what the component is (hdd, vid card, cpu) and what "type" of help is required.

Who cares if the component is high end or low end?..
The person who can't afford the high-end.
Would different people help out or give advice of different quality simply b/c the vid card is a 7800 vs a 4200 ??. Of course not.
Wrong. I, along with several others, are basically sick of people recommending the top end to people who do not need it, and who couldn't run it anyway.

Some people just want something to boost what they have, and others need help on a low cost build, both of which are extremely different froma cutting edge gaming rig.
It only matters what the component is (hdd, vid card, cpu) and what "type" of help is required.
Telling someone on a $500 budget to RAID two Raptors is a bit thick headed, wouldn't you agree? But I ahve seen it recommended time after time after time. As well as top of the line mobos, cases, PSUs, HDs, RAM, whatever.
The mere fact that the SAME question can appear on DIFFERENT sub forums, depending on when the question was asked (last year vs this year), should ring alarm bells in our heads.
That's what mods are for...

Trotter said:
The person who can't afford the high-end.

Wrong. I, along with several others, are basically sick of people recommending the top end to people who do not need it, and who couldn't run it anyway.

Some people just want something to boost what they have, and others need help on a low cost build, both of which are extremely different froma cutting edge gaming rig.

Telling someone on a $500 budget to RAID two Raptors is a bit thick headed, wouldn't you agree? But I ahve seen it recommended time after time after time. As well as top of the line mobos, cases, PSUs, HDs, RAM, whatever.

But the thing is man, chances are someone who clearly has no sense in recommending a card that does not satisfies the constraints of the question, is not going follow the "forum guidelines".. And what ARE the guidelines?.. And again back to my original question. Who exactly decides the guidelies wrt what is high end and low end?.. Very subjective. Well your answer might be "we will".. Well that may be. But, again.. That's not representative of everyone. People have different standards. And with respect to keeping the parts consistent with the said budget, those rules can be "stated" in the old forum setup as well.

With "this" setup it might be easier for you guys to "track down" people who clearly violate budget constraints. But it's not going to prevent them from suggesting it in the first place. Someone who suggests a 7800 for a $800 total system budget, is not going to stop suggesting the same ridiculousness simply b/c the forum title is different. Obviously, they have no common sense.

I know some people do this. But, honestly. Is it "that" much of a problem?.. I think the new problems introduced with respect to the reduction in clarity and what not far outweights the gains you guys gain with respect to being able to track people down more easier.

Well, you can auto-parse the text to filter out "7800", "Raptor" from the "low-end" subforum if you want to. But that seems rather draconian.

Anyways, I gave my opinion on this. I can understand where u are coming from man. I am sure there will be more positive/negative feedback in the coming weeks. Guess you guys can decide what to do when appropriate.. If necessary.

Regardless, you guys should discuss amonst yourselves the importance of having a more "design/new tech" subforum in there. I think this is really important myself. There is a LOT of information to discuss in this area IMO. It's shame that those threads usually get buried.

I think that is would save people alot of headaches and anguish if the hig and low end sections were combined into one, just for the sake of simplification.

Sw1tCh[FX] said:
I think that is would save people alot of headaches and anguish if the hig and low end sections were combined into one, just for the sake of simplification.

Well, the point of that was to keep the "Get 2 7800GTXs in SLI" out of the threads posted by an old lady asking what kind of system she needs to check her email.

beedubaya said:
Well, the point of that was to keep the "Get 2 7800GTXs in SLI" out of the threads posted by an old lady asking what kind of system she needs to check her email.

LMFAO i dont think we havev old people here lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom