A question about video cards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backstop30

Beta member
Hello all.

I'm new to the world of PC gaming and I am planning to upgrade my system, but I don't know what features I really need vs. the ones that I simply want. Hopefully that's where you guys can help. I plan on building a new system, starting with the video card and processor, and choosing the rest of the stuff to match (is this the smart way to go?).

I originally thought that any 256MB card would be a fine choice, but after looking into things a bit, I've found that there are alot of things that I know nothing about. I assume that the card's memory is secondary to things like memory bandwidth, vertices/sec., memory speed, etc.

I don't feel particularly inclined to shell out 450-500 bucks when I can probably get something sufficeint for half of that. Thanks in advance for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated.

I'd start by choosing a motherboard with all the features you want... that will support the CPU you wish to use...then go from there.

There are a lot of good graphics cards out there. It may be best to look around and find a few that you are interested in, then post the makes/models/prices of the cards. Then the peeps here at T-F can give their opinions on the cards and prices.

OK. I've looked around a bit and have it narrowed down to 2 cards. The Radeon 9700 Pro (128 MB) and the 9600 XT (128). The price difference is not really an issue ($15). Which (if either) do you guys think is the better card?

Also, I have a question about memory. Should I go Kingston PC 3200 HyperX - 512MB, or regulr PC 3200 Kingston - 1GB. The HyperX is only $20 cheaper, but I've read it's the best. Is it worth sacrificing the additional 512MB to get the HyperX?

Lastly, I'm not ready to get into the world of over-clocking just yet (but I'm sure that day isn't too far off). Having said that, do I need to concern myself with additional cooling now, or can I wait until the time comes and just add any required cooling components then?

Again, thanks in advance for your input.

Personally I'd go with the 9600xt video card. It doesn't have nearly as many 3d acceleration features as the 9700pro but I don't think those features are worth spending another 50 bucks over. I don't know where you were looking with the 15 dollar difference but on newegg.com xt goes for 160-190 and pro goes for 220. However if money isn't an issue for you then go with the pro, it has quicker memory speed and the bonus features.

With the cooling, if you're thinking about o/c in the future then you might as well start thinking about about getting that case vented. Make sure you get a case with plenty of fan ports(4 minimum). You don't have to get all the fans now though.Also get a good cpu hsf, that's your biggest friend when it comes down to it. These are musts unless you're thinking along the lines of water cooling and I am personally not for that. Cheaper to go the other route and thinking about a potential water leaks turns me away.

Hope this helps.

Backstop30 said:
OK. I've looked around a bit and have it narrowed down to 2 cards. The Radeon 9700 Pro (128 MB) and the 9600 XT (128). The price difference is not really an issue ($15). Which (if either) do you guys think is the better card?

--I use the 9600 xt, and i can tell you that it is a good card, that will play almost any game or app out there.

Also, I have a question about memory. Should I go Kingston PC 3200 HyperX - 512MB, or regulr PC 3200 Kingston - 1GB. The HyperX is only $20 cheaper, but I've read it's the best. Is it worth sacrificing the additional 512MB to get the HyperX?

--If you aren't planning on OC'ing any time soon, I'd go with reg. 3200. The 1Gig is enough memory for most anything you want to do.

Lastly, I'm not ready to get into the world of over-clocking just yet (but I'm sure that day isn't too far off). Having said that, do I need to concern myself with additional cooling now, or can I wait until the time comes and just add any required cooling components then?

--You can wait. The stock heatsink/fan will cool effectively on a non-overclocked CPU. You could alwasy download a program like Mother Board Monitor and see your CPU/case temps. in real time. You can also set the alarm feature in your bios (if your bios has this), to go of at specified temperatures, or when a fan fails.

I guess I was assuming that you were going to get each piece separate. If you are then I'd go ahead and get a good hsf but if not then go ahead with the stock for the time being. And the 1GB memory will be plenty. No need to get the hyper x.

Have you figured out what mobo and processor you're going to use yet?

Thanks for all of the input.

I got the prices from zipzoomfly.com. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to use a P4 2.4 GHz with 800 FSB. I read that it is pretty OC-friendly and it should be plenty fast for the time being (My current PC is only a P3-700MHz.). I don't know about the mobo. Maybe an Abit IC7 i875. What do you think?

I've also found a friend of a friend who will sell me his old 128 MB GeForce 4 Ti 4200 (4X AGP) for $40. I'm sure it's a good deal, but is it a good card? Are the 9600XT and 9700 Pro significantly better cards, and does the 8X AGP make a big diffenece?

Thank you again for your help.

are you planning on playing future games?....Doom 3...HL-2...Painkiller....If so...the GeForce 4 Ti won't make it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom