Very slow shut down times.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifreak3

In Runtime
Got a brand new Dell Inspiron 6000D laptop yesterday and finally got it all set up the way I like it but there's still 1 issue. It boots up in a normal amount of time (well under a minute) but takes forever to shut down (like 5-7 minutes). A message pops up while it is shutting down windows so fast that I can't read what it says. Any ideas? I am willing to restore the computer to the way it was when I received it yesterday, but only as a last ditch effort as I already spent a good number of hours setting up all my new software and transferring stuff from my old computer.

There are 24 items checked under the startup tab in msconfig. Is there a way to somehow copy them so that I can paste them here? It would take forever to list them all by hand.....

I remember that it did actually shut down quickly once during a restart after installing some Windows Updates, but it was only that one time that it shut down quickly.

Also, I was trying to log onto AIM today for the first time and I can't. It just says "connecting" for a long time, so I cancelled the login and tried a few more times but just got the same result.

Whenever I want to disable startup programs but are unsure of whether they are important or not, I look the up on Process Library.com. All you have to do is look-up the name that the MSCONFIG utility lists and it'll tell you what it does. This is also a good way to catch certain pieces of malware. Hope I helped.

I have DSL internet. Here is a list of the startup entries too. Remember this is a brand new PC and anything that I don't need/use I will happily disable!

Apoint
jusched
ifrmewrk
atiptaxx
PCMService
quickset
DVDLauncher
QBReminder
tfswctrl
ISUSPM
issch
ccApp
cfgwiz
UsrPrmpt
iTunedHelper
gcasServ
realsched
msmsgs
aim
Digital Line Detect
Post-it Software Notes Lite
mmtask
qttask

The last 2 items (mmtask and qttask) are unchecked because I unchecked them myself because I do not use those programs.

Another thing I notice, when I open realplayer and try to look for updates it says that I am not online, but I can use IE and check for updates with AV software and Ad-aware just fine so I know that I am online! What gives?

Well that window that I mentioned in my first post of this thread finally stayed up long enough for me to read it. The culprit was ccApp.exe, which is part of Symantec/Norton AV and security suite stuff. Anyways, after some google research, I found that this app gives many people the same problems, so I have since uninstalled any and every thing that has to do with Symantec and Norton as I have had issues with them in the past on other systems. Since then, everything has been working like a dream...shut downs, restarts and start ups are lightning quick and all of my programs can now access the internet! Woohoo!

However, does anyone see anything in my startup list that I could do without or that is really unnecessary to even further speed things up? Thanks for the input/insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom