new oc'er question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fateisajester

Contributor
i read around about ocing and decided to try it out. i went out and got a decent heatsink and fan(cause i didnt wanna cook my pro). ne wayz, i have a p4, 200 x13, so stock it runs 2.6ghz. iv been able to get it up to 220 giving me 2.87ghz. i bumped the power +.07 and everything is fine(great actually). but when i go to 221 and up, i blackscreen(cant boot bios) so i guess my question is, has anyone been able to go higher than this?

i dont understand.. i got two 256 ddr400 running in dual channel... what do i do? this is all really new to me

First of all, you want to be increasing your FSB by small increments, generally about 5MHz. Once you boot up you wanna test in prime95 for 5 minutes or so, if it fails, you need to bump up your vcore.

Personally, every 10MHz FSB increase, I run memtest for about 10 minutes. If you get an error, you want loosen timings accordingly, and probably bump up your vdimm a bit. If you have value RAM you probably won't get past 230MHz FSB 1:1 and will need to use a memory divider

If I've lost you, you probably need to do some more research since this is all part of the process unless you use a memory divider from the start

His multiplier is most likely locked. If he can overclock his memory, it will be very worth his while since the memory bandwidth will be much more noticable than a memory increase on an AMD64 system

BTW, you may need to increase the northbridge voltage as well, but that seems unlikely to be the cause at this point and time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom