Need help with Runtime Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Trivia

Beta member
My computer has developed an interesting problem which I cannot seem to solve. Sometimes a window will pop up with the message:

"Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
abnormal program termination"

When I click "ok" explorer shuts down, and then restarts itself. (The computer does not turn off). This happens when I do the following things:

1. Right-click on a desktop icon (but not the desktop itself)
2. Try to delete a desktop icon
3. Try to copy a program file
4. Try to cut a program file
5. Try to move a program file
6. Try to right click on a program file

Furthermore, basic explorer fuctions will not work. I cannot use the "find files or folders" program. Other than that, everything else works normally. I can create desktop icons, I can install and run programs, and I can move programs IFF I copy the folder they are in instead of copying the program itself. I cannot find any references on this specific runtime error, and I cannot think of anything that could have caused this problem around the time it began appearing. No viruses or spyware on my computer, and all the hard drives have been checked for errors and defragmented.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

System:

Sager NP8880 laptop
Windows XP Pro
2.4GHz P4
64MB ati mobility radeon 7500 video card
512MB Ram

You have got a virus or something. Sorry to inform you. There is something major hapining there. Sicen you desktop (Explorer) crashes everytime you do something you got issues. Try a virus scan and spyware. It might just be malicious spyware causing the problem not a virus. If neither of those work you will probably have to do a Windows Repair.

try updating your directx9 or java. this is usually where you see these runtime errors

Something is wrong and I mean way wrong. Run all your anti-whatever scanners and update with microsoft. If that doesn't work this could be trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom