Upgrading my dell 600$ limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweeter0830

Beta member
Ok, So here's the deal. I have a Dell Dimension 8300 and I'm sick of it's inability t play any new games so I'm planning an upgrade. I have about 600$ to spend and I was thinking about getting a Nvidia 6800 GT, maybe a little more ram, but I don't know what else I would need to replace to make that work. My power supply if only 250 W So I think I'd need to replace that. Here are my specs, tell me if you need anything more any help would be greatly appreciated.

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz
Speed : 2.59GHz
Performance Rating : PR3450 (estimated)
SMT Support : 2 Unit(s)
Type : Standard
L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous ATC (8-way sectored, 64 byte line size)

Mainboard
Bus(es) : X-Bus AGP PCI IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP Support : 1 CPU(s)
MP APIC : Yes
System BIOS : Dell Computer Corporation A05
System : Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 8300
Mainboard : Dell Computer Corp. 0M2035
Total Memory : 1023MB DDR-SDRAM

Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks
Bank 0 : 512MB DDR-SDRAM 3.0-3-3-8CL 1CMD
Bank 1 : 512MB DDR-SDRAM 3.0-3-3-8CL 1CMD
Channels : 2
Speed : 2x 200MHz (400MHz data rate)
Multiplier : 1/1x
Width : 64-bit
Refresh Rate : 7.80µs
Performance Acceleration Technology : Yes
Power Save Mode : No
Fixed Hole Present : No

Chipset 1
Model : Dell Computer Corp 82875P,E7210 Memory Controller Hub
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 1024MB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 200MHz (400MHz data rate)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Default Monitor
Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Physical Storage Devices
Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
Hard Disk : ST3120026AS (111.8GB)
CD-ROM/DVD : SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-248F (CD 48X Rd, 48X Wr)
CD-ROM/DVD : SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T (CD 48X Rd) (DVD 6X Rd)

Logical Storage Devices
1.44MB 3.5" (A:) : N/A
Hard Disk (C:) : 111.7GB (29.9GB, 27% Free) (NTFS)
CD-ROM/DVD (D:) : N/A
CD-ROM/DVD (E:) : N/A

MultiMedia Device(s)
Device : Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
Device : Game Port for SB Live! Series

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86/IA32) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

You have to get a dell PSU, which they do not sell seperatley, so you can not upgrade that. A 250 watt PSU will not take a 6800 gt, so you are stuck there.

Here is what I sugest, get a new case, new PSU, new motherboard, new CPU and a 6600gt. You have 1gb of ram already, that is more than good for todays games, someone will have to confirm wether they use standard RAM, or if they change something in the ram, like change the pins around, change the placement of the notch etc.

Believe you can buy separately, they're pc power and cooling psus, but $$$. Plus a 6800gt ouaght to do. As for which pc power and cooling, i don't know.

Then just add a nice vid card, maybe a new heatsink & fan for your CPU to do a little overclocking, or get a raptor HDD or something cool like that.

Overclock? On a Dell? What you been smokin?

As said above, you'll either need a new PSU (from Dell, and Dell alone) and a card, or go with a new build scavenging what parts you can.

Someone did that, i remeber, the 9100, i believe. They took a soldering iron to the processor or something and managed a very good oc.

Roger

I used to have a Dell Dimension 8300 as well. And I upgraded the crap out of it. So don't let anyone tell you can't upgrade it. Not only did I own one, but i work on Dell's all the time. And I upgrade them for people. Believe me, i know Dell PC's very well. I should go to india and become Dell Tech. Support. LOL - i don't think so..

The only parts that "ARE" propriotery are the Motherboard and the Case. You can upgrade anything else you want. The biggest problem is that the MOBO is a big piece of crap. NO OVERCLOCKING ABILITY AT ALL. No hardware monitoring in BIOS, no tweaking of voltages. Channel 2 dimm slots are on a wierd freakin angle... The case is so small inside. ZERO AIRFLOW. The case also opens on a stupid hingle... dumb design. I hated it.
Oh, if anything happens to the MOBO, "like my channel 1 dimm slot died" to replace the 8300 MOBO costs $190.00 with S&H.

250w PSU? Piece of crap. I put the PCP&C Turbo-Cool 425w PSU in it. And now i'm using it for my rebuild. This PSU is holding up really well in my new system.

P4 3.4ghz, 2gig RAM, 4 SATA HDD'S, 2 optical drives, 1 floppy/card reader, aerocool gatewatch, 3 case fans, UV lights, X800XT PE, caselights, SB audigy 2... No issues with only 425w.

PCP&C has a separate page just for Dell PSUs, so I'd say get it from them. It might be pricey, but its quality. As for a video card, yea, you could get an AGP 6800 GT. Also, a 2.6ghz CPU might be a bit of a bottleneck for for a 6800 GT. It might be worth it to upgrade to 3.2ghz or so.

Why not just strip the dell and buy another motherboard, case, PSU and video card? Now you have a custom PC and can overclock!

sorry but to replace a mobo on a dell alls u need is the same socket as the cpu and a new case. my suggestion to u is to get a new mobo, new case, new psu, a 6800gt pci express. i belive that is a 478 socket so just get a 478 socket board with pcie. and maybe some better cooling for the cpu so u can overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom