Installing Microsoft Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifreak3

In Runtime
I just bought a laptop but it only came with Wordperfect. I have a desktop which came Word, which I have all the discs for. Both computers are Dells running Win XP SP2. Is it safe/possible to use the disks from the desktop to install Word and possibly other programs on the laptop?

Hey,

Your Talking about installing just Mircrosoft word? I'd say it would be possible.

However if your MS word is compleatly currupt and you need another word processing application Abiword for windows is very similar to MS word and will do the tasks you require. you can Download it here:

http://www.abisource.com/download/

Hope this Helps,

Jake

Wait hold on...

Doesn't that mean two copies of word are using the same CD Key Genuine Advantage would detect this and lock them out correct? (not sure)

i'm not sure what your talking about Tyler..

When i install MS Office 2003 Pro on my family computer, and installing service pack 1, they never checked my serial (that was 2 weeks ago)..

ohhh, you meant this right tyler: "Doesn't that mean two copies of word are using the same CD Key, Genuine Advantage would detect this and lock them out correct? (not sure)"?

again, no, Genuine Advantage doesn't check office products apparently..

So it doesn't check software I thought Microsofts whole big deal was to reduce the number of copied OS's and software...

It check the registry for certain keys. If it checked for all products and software installed that would be considered an invasion of privacy. They cant know EVERYTHING that is installed. If they did then why would anyone obther using a M$ product. They wouldnt even be able to have family pics on thier PC then since M$ would have access to them.

True but you think they would include they huge office suit in their genuine advantage. Seems like all the years of work are for nothing.

The do and they dont. I say that cause now the Windows Updates are all done at one site for everything. Updates, Office and Betas are all done under one roof (Sorry had to say it). So it does check the registry keys for certain products but since it is a valid copy they might not take note of it. It is a valid copy that he recieved with a system. So it wouldnt show up as anything but valid by the Genuine Check.

So then is it safe/possible to do what I am trying to do? I already own the Word discs and both of the computers as well, so I don't think its against the rules. But all I am really worried about is if its safe/possible, if its against the rules then consider me a rule breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom