No POST for ECS K7S5A PRO w/DDR Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Famous

Solid State Member
Everything was working fine with PC133 memory (256 MB), but when I installed some K-Byte 512 MB DDR 2700/2100 184 pin DIMM (single chip), now I don't get the POST beep at all. Well, the first time I installed the new memory, it worked fine. By the way, I did remove the old memory. hehe

But the second time I tried to boot, no POST beep. So if I go back to the old memory everything is fine again. Then I reinstall the DDR and it might boot one time, or it might not. Regardless, it only boots one time maximum and then it won't boot anymore until I reinstall the old memory.

I tried to reset everything in BIOS to defaults, but it did not help. I turned off the "quick boot" thinking that it might help if it tested the memory. No change.

Is there a setting in there somewhere (BIOS maybe?) that I can try that will make my system work with this memory?

Thanks in advance.

i just put this post on another topic about the same board. I have this board on a shop comp. i have XP and i had to download sp1 before it would work. I have no idea but you may want to try XP and spi. If you have not heard you are the only one but these boards are about the biggest piece of junk, work some time. I dont reccomend using ddr either with these. But if you have to patch XP to make it work im sure 98 will take a lot or just not be possible. I have tried and heard that there are probs using ddr with this board. Stick with sdram. i know it sucks but i suggest selling the board and getting a better one. I have several ECS boards and this is the only one ive had probs with. i just use it to test hardware.

Thanks for the info.

I am using xp Pro and sp1. I didn't think the OS would matter, since it never got past the POST anyhow.

the OS update i was talking about was for the usb 2 feature. there is not anything im aware of that will work for the DDR> ihave used ddr in it, it just does not like all brands.

O.k., get this. I removed my PCI modem and now the computer works great with the DDR memory! Go figure!

I don't use my dialup modem most of the time, but just in case, how can I put it back and make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom