Usb ports stopped working....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeaaronc

Baseband Member
My sister owns a Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop computer. It has a Pentium 4 2.8 ghz and 512 Mb ram. I tried uninstalling the ports, there are no conflicts whatsoever in device manager. She already has Service Pack 2 installed on Windows XP home. I cant seem to figure out why these ports stopped working all of a sudden. I did some research and after looking for quite a while some people had that same problem but there was never a solution. She hasnt used any new usb devices other than her usb mouse, printer, and her dell mp3 player... which she has been using all along. I thought maybe a new device messed up the drivers somehow when she connected it but she has been using the same ones.... I KNOW it cant be hardware cuz her usb mouse is optical and the laser light is ON when I plug the it into ANY of the ports. Anyone have ANY clue what it could be? Basically the only thing I havent tried is formatting but I really dont want to have to do that.

As far as i know it should be usb 2.0 laptop is less than a year old. I dont know why that should matter. I downloaded a usb utitlity to check it and everything was okay I wish I had her pc with me. Im sure it told me what version of usb it is.

Have you looked at the hardware in control panel, system to see if there are any exclaimation marks or resource conflicts?

you didnt read all of my post cjjohnson :)

"there are no conflicts whatsoever in device manager"

Hmmm I guess I could try that but she has had sp2 on her system for months now. Any ideas cant hurt. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom