j4ckaL

Daemon Poster
Ok, so far I have picked out these parts for a build,

Case: Lian Li PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
Mobo: ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
GPU: BFG Tech Geforce 7800GTX OC
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA150

As you can see, I need some help choosing RAM and a power supply. For the memory I don't plan on OCing so no need for fancy stuff.

thanks in advance for any help!

I recommend you go with a PSU with a minimum of 450W. You might be able to go a little lower, but it would be risky.

For a system like that that's going to be drawing a decent amount of power, I would go with a brand name PSU.

Perhaps this one would do just fine for you. I havent used it myself but Antec is a trustworthy brand. Im sure someone will have a suggestion on a PSU that they have used.

For RAM, here's the most inexpensive 512x2 kit on newegg. This will perform no differently than expensive stuff unless you overclock, and you specified that you arent so this would be good for you.

Don't forget windows and arctic silver 5 if needed. A decent psu such as the rosewill 550watt would do for only $50 ish dollars.

Alright as long as that RAM will perform no different then more expensive RAM then I will get it. I will be using this rig for gaming if that makes a difference.

And I like the power supply too.

thanks!

bro make sure that you get a power supply from a trusty source. xoxide.com is pretty good. make sure you go with the ones that are 500 watts and up and check the voltages. of course your memory should be dual channel. ocz is a good brand to go with. make sure that you get the lowest latency timing as well. also presonally i like geil as a brand too

Mionics said:
bro make sure that you get a power supply from a trusty source. xoxide.com is pretty good. make sure you go with the ones that are 500 watts and up and check the voltages. of course your memory should be dual channel. ocz is a good brand to go with. make sure that you get the lowest latency timing as well. also presonally i like geil as a brand too
well, what do you think of the PSU and RAM that Elbatrop1 posted?

Mionics said:

Sorry to pick your post apart:

Newegg seems to be a very trusty source. Most people here get their parts from them without problems.

When you check PSUs, the voltages are the same for any new PSU. There is no need to check into the voltages. If anything, check the current (amperage) rating on each voltage supply (rail). The Antec I recommended will be fine.

Memory itself isnt dual channel. Its the motherboard that supports dual channel, or doesnt. OCZ RAM is good but wont perform any better unless you a) get the right kind b) overclock it. Lower latency RAM doesnt perform noticeably better than regular latency RAM.

To 2nd that, I have just ordered parts from Newegg a couple weeks ago and got it 2 days after I ordered it...

And like Elba and I said, the Antec Neopower 480W is one of the best PSU's out there, and that Value RAM will not be any different than regular RAM. The CAS latency doesn't have a huge overall effect on performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom