help i put PVA glue instead of thermal paste

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, even i am not that stupid. If i have expensive hardware, i usually take care. I have used PVA glue to glue a 486 heatsink on and it worked ok but i only put glue on the corners and i put thermal paste in the middle because 486 heatsinks are glued on anyway.

If you lap the heatsink, the scratches will come right out of it. You can also take a scotch brite pad and scour the top or your processor, in one direction, and than put on some thermal paste and you will be golden. By thermal paste I mean AS5, not PVA glue.

gully2005 said:
haha whoops, i dont know what i was doing, but without the thermal paste temps were going up to 55C
so i looked at the pva glue it looked the same so i put it on,
now my comp is staying at like 42C, is that hot for a pentium 4 northwood A? 2.8ghz?

it might have looked the same but it was nowhere close. thermal paste actually has silver in it. its almost like a liquid metal. the whole point is to fill in the small imperfections in the pro and hs and still transfer heat. all that glue of yours did was put a barier between the two components. you should have asked sombody. glad you got it off though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom