SATA HDD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeuskotg

Baseband Member
about a month ago I was playing a game and my computer froze. I am using windows XP and it had never crashed on me before. so I restarted and it loaded up normally and it crashed again later. So I went into CMOS and checked to see if they were being recognized and they weren't. so I restarted and went back into CMOS to check again and they were there. The two weeks later the same thing happened. This time they are not being detected at all. I have flashed the bios several times. Since then I have been using the Official PS2 HDD as my hard drive. I have had the drives for about a year now I will give you a rundown of the specs:

CPU: P4 3.0GHz
RAM: Corsair Value Select 512MB of PC4200
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JD 120GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 x2
PSU: Powmax 580Watt
Motherboard: BIOSTAR N4SIE-A7

I know it is not the PSU because they are getting ample power and I tested the burg connectors to make sure they voltages were correct. I have not tested the HDDs on another computer that has SATA on it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

May I ask, are you running 2 video card? Because your motherboard supports SLI and has two PCI-X 16 slot. Did you try to overclock it before? Check to see the voltage for your CPU,video card and RAM are at the manufacture recommendation. If you don't remember then just set it back to the manufacture default.

I know it supports SLI and no it is not in SLI. I don't overclock anything and everything is stock. That doesn't answer my question not being rude.

Ok sorry I was reading your post and didn't quite clearly understood it. So basically your having harddrive failure and you said you are using another harddrive and it works fine?

Only thing I can think of is harddrive failure. Only thing that would indicate both your harddrive failing at once is if you had them setup as RAID0. If so, try connecting just one at a time and see if you can isolate the bad one from the good one by checking in the bios to see if it recgonize the drive.

they were not in RAID0 just thrown in there. I just don't see them both dying on the same day and I have had them less then a year and the other about 8-9 months.

Yea it sounds remotely impossible it would die at the same time, but things happen. Try using the harddrive on another computer and see if it's really the harddrive and not the sata connector on your board. Try changing the SATA wire also and rechecking to see if the powercord is giving the right amount of power to your harddrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom