Okay, I hate to post again, but....

Okay, I just got quoted for this system:

EN-NI3 Enpower Nintro4
Case, the one I already talked about
2 512 Corsair ddr ram
6600GT PCI-E 128MB
NF4SLI S939 ATX PCI-E GBT
AMD ATH 64 3500+
80 Gig 7200RPM (whats the deal with every quote having an 80 gig? I would want much more with my computer)
Floppy drive (for drivers, he said)

All coming out to around 899, because I think one of the things that I'm not taking in that quote is the aftermarked heat sink and fan, since i'm probably not going to be overclocking my computer.

So what do you think? He said to save another 70 I could downgrade to the AMD 3200 (i think). Should I? Do I need the 3500? And am I really going to need SLI? Sure its a great thing to have but I'm wondering if it is necessary for the price.

Oh and why the hatin on dell? I have a dell inspiron 8600 laptop and I haven't had any real problems with it. Granted, I do take pretty good care of it, but really I haven't come across that many terrible dell computers.

No way that should be $900. More like $700. No, 3200+ and 3500+ are practically the same, you don't need the 3500+, stick to 3200+.

oh wow really? He said by having them build it and by buying the parts through them, I would get it cheaper than doing it alone. I wasn't quite sure I believed him. I would list all of the prices he gave for them seperately, but he didn't put them on the invoice.

It's a decent price for a system that your not building yourself.

If your building it yourself, you could go cheaper.

If you don't think the motherboard is good, what would you suggest? And should I get one witih SLI?

Are you willing to spend another $160 to buy another video card? Do you need the performance of 2 video cards? If not, don't go with SLi. 2 6600GTs wouldn't be worth it anyways.

Ok, do you know how to build a computer? Even if you don't, its easy to learn. Its not going to be anything like building blocks though, it IS a computer...but you could save $150-$200 rather than buying it.

Yea, the motherboard seems shady. Unless you want 2 video cards, don't get a SLi motherboard. If you're not overclocking, then there are some very cheap motherboards out there that support Athlon 64s.

Okay, he said it would be a good way to plan for the future to have SLI. Instead of upgrading to the newest 500 dollar video card, I could just throw another older one in and have it run just as well. But you're saying I really don't need it? Its not like I plan to run several monitors either.

SLi doesn't have anything to do with multiple monitors, but I think you might've meant something else. The thing with SLi, you put two video cards but only get a 75% or so boost in performance. So with two cards, instead of 200% the performance of one, you get 175% the performance. And you have to have 2 of the same cards and I think that have to be made by the same manufacturer (So 2x eVGA 6600GTs, not one eVGA 6600GT and one PNY 6600GT).

The argument of two working as well as one for the same price works the other way around also. SLi can bring up other complications as well, complications that don't happen with just one video card.

SLi is generally for those people that have money to burn and always HAVE to HAVE the latest and greatest. Unless you're one of those people, you shouldn't get SLi.

I don't blame the person for trying to sell it to you though. He makes a good point, but judging by the rest of your hardware, it doesn't really look like you're "Planning for the future." Chances are, if you want to keep up with the games, you'll have to buy a new system in around 2 years, just like I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom