help! my windows wont load on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

95gsr

Beta member
Just as the topic says, i cant get my windows to load when i reboot my computer. When i boot it up, at the black screen, it usually stops where it detects your processor. Im going to reformat my HD, but i need to get access to the Hd to back some stuff up. Any advice?

first - what version of windoze...
second -- will it boot to safe mode
third --- what did you install just before it stopped working. . .

windows XP
no, it will not boot in safe mode
The last thing i installed was a bios update.

Well thats prolly ur problem
and ud probably be able to reset it somehow, i have no idea how tho, for somebody else to answer

What type of computer/motherboard is it?
Where did you get the bios update from?
do you have an old version of the bios around?

gruntwerk said:
What type of computer/motherboard is it?
Where did you get the bios update from?
do you have an old version of the bios around?

If u do have ur old bios around try flashing the bios back to it ..
Else .. just use another hdd to boot the system ..n' back up ur data ..
or u'll probably hafta connect ur hdd in some other machine

Another HDD probably wont work... the BIOS is possibly trashed...
OR maybe he just needs to save his settings... ya know, autodetect the HDDs, etc... Maybe, depending on the type of computer/bios, he can press F1, delete F10 - , whatever the screen says to enter the BIOS and fix his settings there.. then save them reboot, and everyting will be fine. . .
Thats Y I asked what type of computer/bios it was...

I think the easiest solution would be to format. Just take your hdd and stick it to another machine to back up stuff. Then format...even though it's a pain in the butt :\

Checksums, Checksums, Checksums

Well, Since you recently flashed your BIOS, have you went into the BIOS, push whatever it is to set defaults, and such?

Also, some BIOS's, when you flash or replace battery, have to reset the checksum. I remember one Laptop I was working on, some 0 decided to reflash the BIOS, because they couldn't get in. Doing the reflash screwed the CD-ROM drive, until we cleared that.

Just something to contemplate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom