Question about Zalman heatsink/fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend suggested that I take off the speed controller, so I did, which just made the cpu temp rise 3º and my CPU speed is now at 3174, while it was at 3214 before.

Here are some pictures I took. I'm not sure what to apply the paste with, so I used something that came with the HSF that looked like that might be its purpose.

CPUpaste.jpg

cpuHSF.jpg

cpuHSF2.jpg

CPUtemp.jpg

If your cpu is a prescott don't expect it to be running ultra cool,The best thing to do is get some Artic silver 5 insted of using the crap that came with the heatsink,You might not notice a big drop in temp's while idle but you should notice a difference while under load.

*EDIT*

That cpu shot look's like hell,When applying the paste you will want to get a nice smooth paper thin layer.

What would be the best way to go about applying it?

I'm aware I'm a complete idiot since I'm new to this, sorry.

KingAustin said:
What would be the best way to go about applying it?

I'm aware I'm a complete idiot since I'm new to this, sorry.

Try and use a credit card or similar and try to get it spread as evenly as possible,And don't be sorry for being a newbie cause we all started the same way ;)

Heh, lol. The best way to apply it is exactly like I said. Well, it is a very good and widely used way anyway. Everyone has their own method of choice. All you have to do is put that rice sized blob in the middle of the cpu and then install the heatsink right on top of the blob. Physics will take over and the goo will be pushed into the spaces it is meant to fill.

Should I remove the paste that I have on there already, or just go ahead and try to smooth it out?

Ok, I removed it all and put a "rice sized" piece. Sorry about the blurry pics, but you can still see how big it is.

CPUthermal.jpg

cputhermal2.jpg

Right now it's at 52º, so I'll let it set for a bit. I really hope I did it correctly this time as I'm getting tired of unplugging and replugging in everything :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom